Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could anyone identify this uniform?

James Watson

I wonder if anyone on the forum might be able to identify the uniform being worn by these three gentlemen depicted on an old magic lantern slide?  Much appreciated, James 

11.JPG

Chelsea Pensioners. Is one an Indian Mutiny veteran? 

46 minutes ago, James Watson said:

Of course.  I might have twigged if the image was in colour!

James - Welcome onboard with GWF

Chelsea Pensioners [I'm late as usual!]

In B/W looks like the blue version to me ["Blues"], but colour rendition can be quite iffy so that might perhaps have thrown you - as the scarlet ["Scarlets"] seems most recognised these days

And perhaps me for that matter - That said because they have medals up and think those are [nowadays] only worn with "Scarlets" [Ribbons worn on "Blues"] - don't know what the CH Regulations on dress were like back then.

We may well yet find out.

GWF a great place to learn about all sorts of "stuff"

I think lots of inverted long service chevrons it appears [or is someone going to correct me on chevrons? - yet again!]

I'm sure someone will come up with a possible date based on their medals, dress and that of the officer behind

:-)

Edited by Matlock1418
expansion

The date of the photo is clearly around WW1 - just judging on the uniform of the tall officer on the left as you look at the photo.

As to the medals I will see if I can adjust the image sufficiently to have a good guess.

edit

Had a go and it is just impossible to get the image big enough or clear enough to identify the medals

Edited by Mark1959

The coat they are wearing is full dress scarlet. Apart from the pattern (single breasted) being clear it is the only coat with which the tricorne hat was worn, i.e. in ceremonial order.  Conversely the undress (forage) cap can be worn with both, scarlet and blue.

03CBF4C4-DCB2-47EE-921B-3414AC10476D.jpeg

DF634F67-DC0D-4E0C-985F-D00D7596EBFA.png

2E737E97-CACE-433B-8587-88AD9E13D599.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The coat they are wearing is full dress scarlet. Apart from the pattern being clear it is the only coat with which the tricorne hat was worn, i.e. in ceremonial order.

As I probably suspected - I too had been first thrown by the colour rendition and lack of knowledge re: style and headdress - crazy how in B/W scarlet seems to often present itself so darkly

Not surprised it is you Frogsmile - fount of so much such knowledge - that has again corrected me! :-)

James will be pleased.

Now for a date for him???

The officers service dress is post 1912 with that open collar,  it has cuff rank so pre 1920.  I would place it pre or very early war. 

I'm intrigued to see what the medals are! 

Edited by Toby Brayley