Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is there a "Dummies Guide" to Buttons ?

MERLINV12

I need to find a publication, website, forum member, who can educate me on uniform buttons, particularly WW1 period Coldstream ones.

For example, the difference between OR's & Officers, sizes, one piece two piece, manufacturers, finish, etc. etc.

Absolute novice, as some of you will have already observed, looking to find a complete set, and as I am a stickler for accuracy, I need your help & guidance once again.

I do have a couple of 1" (25.4mm) 2-piece "Smith & Wright Limited Birmingham", (see photo below) but have no idea if they are correct for the period.

TIA.

Button 2 small.jpg

Edited by MERLINV12

There is a book by Howard Ripley.  In general there were three sizes, often referred to as cap buttons, tunic buttons and greatcoat buttons, but it was not in reality quite as straightforward as that and traditionally the tailors referred to button sizes using the French term ‘lignes’ (lines) along with a figure to determine the precise dimensions.  See: https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/author/howard-ripley/

If I recall correctly the design on Coldstream Guards buttons was the same for all three sizes (see lowermost image).

The officers had gilt buttons, sergeants had brass, and the men had pewter buttons up until 1855 at which date the men were issued with tunics and brass buttons. The earliest known buttons had a six pointed star around Cm Gs. During the War of American Independence the number of points increased and the letters Cm Gds appeared in the middle.”

On 7th June 1785 officers were ordered to have the same pattern as the men which was the eight pointed garter star with the words COLDSTREAM GUARDS. But on 11th January 1805 they were ordered to change the words to HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE.

The 1830 button is very similar to that worn by the regiment today and did not change because it has no crown or cypher. The last button appears on the portrait of Colonel W L Walton who commanded the Coldstream Guards from 1839-46, but there is little evidence of it elsewhere.”

2CD6F9A8-5863-43B5-A74C-BA7EBE57B328.jpeg

82D6037D-CD63-46D7-9192-57E9F1B08274.jpeg

47C2A9C6-301D-49D3-9FD6-D96D1A55AEF0.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE