Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

BIFFO

The correct term mounted trio

Matlock1418
1 hour ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

This might be of general GWF interest

Of course. Fantastic history and artefacts

Did I say proud / very proudly? - I did - obviously is the case for you!

Thanks for sharing.

:-)

Andrew Upton
20 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

I wouldn't know but ... do court mounted medals jingle less than swing mounted?

The usual practice with court mounted medals is to have additional stitching holding the medal firmly in place against the backing, so yes. A clearer example below:

Image result for court mounted ww1 medals

Matlock1418
40 minutes ago, Andrew Upton said:

The usual practice with court mounted medals is to have additional stitching holding the medal firmly in place against the backing, so yes

Learnt some more :-)  Thanks.

Nice clear photo and can barely see the extra stitches - know I'm probably not meant to, so a good job done I guess!

Are those original ribands? - They do look quite new.

Were your illustrated pair originally court-mounted? - and worn as such?

Realised they may not be yours but a photographic example only, so ... ???

Just observing and asking -They look nice and both obverses to the fore this time! ;-)  :-)

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear All, and Matlock 1418,

This is the difference between the original silk "watered" Great War Ribbons (above), and the cotton, printed look-alikes produced from 357505650_LieutCorbett.2-69Punjabis.jpg.c0519eb023fe8a7746e82248726ec1c0.jpg160498943_MajorHauserIARO.jpg.78163cc651100952f26710000f97cb4a.jpgabout the 1970s...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

seaJane

With apologies for back-tracking: my mother's father, demonstrating naval overlap (and Admiral Beatty cap angle).

IMG_20191011_002520.jpg

Kimberley John Lindsay

Dear seaJane,

Yes, the lapel was part of the problem!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Andrew Upton
11 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Were your illustrated pair originally court-mounted? - and worn as such?

Realised they may not be yours but a photographic example only, so ... ???

Just an image cannibalised from a Google search I'm afraid, so I can't offer any other history.

Matlock1418
14 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

This is the difference between the original silk "watered" Great War Ribbons (above), and the cotton, printed look-alikes

Yes, good to compare and contrast

The watered silk always photographs very differently (and you can feel it too), but the silk can age badly so remounting is always a potential necessity.

As below ...

12 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Just an image cannibalised from a Google search I'm afraid, so I can't offer any other history

Thought so - but an example where perhaps the court mount is a more modern affectation and perhaps originally worn on a swing mount - we can't tell from here.

Think many on GWF would probably agree that the original mounting is most likely considered the best style/memory of the recipient when last in their possession - swing or court.

Either way ... respect.

14 hours ago, seaJane said:

With apologies for back-tracking: my mother's father, demonstrating naval overlap (and Admiral Beatty cap angle).

No apology needed.

Nice one/great photo - very jaunty!

But I note five medals up, lapel notwithstanding - different Regs. in force at photo date???

Think I can see an Ed VII Africa General Service Medal - what clasp?  Edit: George V [?] Naval General Service Medal with clasp Persian Gulf 1909-14 as per the link seaJane gives in next post - another case of colour rendition and obscuration [easier to see in another photo in that other thread]

Which star - 1914 or 1914-15? Edit: as per the link seaJane gives in next post

And interesting to note in B/W the 'dodgy' colour rendition of the BWM orange (somebody will probably correct me and say it is gold or ...) centre of the riband is very dark - something I have always found to be a bit of a challenge when looking at many colours and at other small indistinct medal photo images [and uniforms too] in B/W

Think I can see a MiD oak leaf emblem on the VM [?]  

But what is the last medal?? - i can't see enough to ID  EditLong Service and Good Conduct medal as per the link seaJane gives in next post

Being PBI I don't really recognise the cap badge and collar badges but think on collar I see crown, stars and crossed torpedoes - used my fingers and had a quick web search = RN Petty officer? Torpedo Gunner's Mate? - I am sure you/someone will be able to tell me more accurately if RN (or other!), what rank and date of photo etc.

And a chance for you to spill your grandfather's story - but only if you wish.

Edited by Matlock1418
Edit

seaJane
2 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

RN Petty officer? Torpedo Gunner's Mate? -

Right both times! 

Medals explained here:

Matlock1418
4 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

And a chance for you to spill your grandfather's story - but only if you wish.

Obvious now - but you've done it before!

Medaler

That very fine group in seaJane's picture also shows the longer length of wear for the RN. I always think they look much better for it. At correct army length the Stars never look right to me.

Mike