Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The correct term mounted trio

BIFFO

just before I go and get stuck into MORE research,no I do not regret turning on notifications,

I asked peoples opinions and im pleased to say they took the time and trouble :thumbsup:

I like GWF,you see"stuff" out of your box that makes you think

Biffo

12 minutes ago, Medaler said:

Attached is a picture that makes me smile. Medals "all over the shop" - but one of them is a VC

Not Pte. Rivers but his proud mum I presume - and mums are able to get away with .. almost anything!

Dear Matlock1418,

Thanks for your kind words about my Grandfather's MC, ED.

I have his identity disc488423387_LtWFLindsay53BnAIFID.jpg.e095d09e8207f813b9a6575fd872e048.jpg - and his miniatures, too, together with Dad's MC GVIR/MiD group.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Change of subject but a similar query. These medals (L/Cpl S Fox, 8th Lincolns) are incorrectly mounted. They`ve presumably been that way since first encased and that`s how the family knew and accepted them. A good reason not to change anything?

IMG_2817.JPG

54 minutes ago, PhilB said:

These medals (L/Cpl S Fox, 8th Lincolns) are incorrectly mounted. They`ve presumably been that way since first encased and that`s how the family knew and accepted them. A good reason not to change anything?

Colour rendition aside it looks like rather long ribands (a problem? - not in my opinion)

But the Victory medal appears to be showing the reverse - In my opinion a case for correction, why perpetuate an error?

As for "how the family knew" - what date framed? - which family, his immediate or later generation(s)?

I'm not for altering/re-writing history, but for errors? - I think the case can be made for correction.

Certainly had he been living now I'm pretty sure L.Cpl. Fox wouldn't have wanted to go on parade in the wrong order/state of dress/medals akimbo

I am sure there will be other interpretations and opinions likely to follow.

and as below ...

Am currently looking into the potential correction of a death record - register / certificate which does not seem to have the correct name on the original register entry [not just a transcription error on a genealogical site] - I suggest that the error should be highlighted and/or a correction made -  in my opinion better to correct it now rather than let it sow more confusion into the future.  I'd be happy with both original and corrected entries options visible and searchable - then transparency for all, and as evidence of a historical quirk.

I have a similar situation with the only WW1 family medals I know of, or at least the miniatures. I don't think the full sized were ever mounted. Also the BWM is the wrong way round!

1516312188_WP_20190130_17_35_40_Pro(2).jpg.2363b5507bb49962766c88c5a1b01060~2.jpg

4 minutes ago, PhilB said:

Both the VM & BWM show their reverses. At least they got the star and plaque right!

Yes, my omission, don't know why I missed it - my eye was so quickly/only drawn to VM - but BWM is adrift too

What are your thoughts on correction?

On 07/10/2019 at 18:00, BIFFO said:

medals 1.jpg

Interesting - didn't spot this before, possible case of rushing and mind on other things I guess [but nobody else mentioned either!],  but both BWM show reverse and not the obverse [with the King's head]

13 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

I have a similar situation with the only WW1 family medals I know of, or at least the miniatures. I don't think the full sized were ever mounted. Also the BWM is the wrong way round!

What are your thoughts on 'correction'?

1 minute ago, Fergie said:

The story goes that it was Queen Victoria's dislike of jingling medals that brought about court mounting.

I wouldn't know but ... do court mounted medals jingle less than swing mounted?

8 minutes ago, PhilB said:

I`m leaving as is! If I needed to reframe them, I`d probably correct them.

Thanks for your thoughts

For now - Very pragmatic!

:-)

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

What are your thoughts on 'correction'?

I'm going to leave them as is and how Stephen would have worn them. I also like the imperfections, adds a bit of character.

4 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

I'm going to leave them as is and how Stephen would have worn them. I also like the imperfections, adds a bit of character.

I understand - My suggested way is not the only way!

I have however carefully cleaned my grandfather's BWM, as he kept it and proudly wore that way [I know many others don't clean them and let them gently tarnish with age].

Main thing is that we as keepers of other's medals [not owners] keep them safe for the future and in the memory of the man/men involved

Makes for a more interesting life if those miniature were worn the way you have them.

Safely kept and not [over] worn I guess they will last another 100+ years.

So long as they are not falling off their mount and in danger of getting lost then I wouldn't touch/replace the ribands either.

Even then the choice is yours [or whoever is the keeper then]

19 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I fully agree about cleaning them if that's how they were worn(my great grandfather's WW2 medals are polished and cleaned occasionally, and will probably be kept like that for the forseeable future). I will probably replace the 1914-15 star's riband due to it literally being completely fibres in some parts and if you pick them up the star nearly falls off! 

1877049669_WP_20190316_19_12_45_Pro(3).jpg.995f20cd7c1a00b35fb16e9a5ae2faf1.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

3 minutes ago, Jools mckenna said:

1877049669_WP_20190316_19_12_45_Pro(3).jpg.995f20cd7c1a00b35fb16e9a5ae2faf1.jpg

Nice medals - even if from the 'wrong' war.

Just kidding about the war bit - excellent to see them and the obvious care and pride with which you keep them

Dear All,

When I referred to my1186842985_GrandfatherandDadsminiatures.JPG.5f354d322accb8183d877d427f379fb8.JPG grandfatherly (and fatherly) miniatures on #28, I couldn't find the relevant photo. Now I have it.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

main thing is that we as keepers of other's medals [not owners] keep them safe for the future and in the memory of the man/men involved

I can accept that posture if the medals are not of family. However, I most certainly own the seven family groups that I inherited, and my son will own them after me. And a succession beyond.

No great shakes, one MM, one MiD, but service against the Zulus, the Boers, and Germany [twice], in Africa, in Europe, in the Blitz, on the sea ......... Royal Artillery, 8th Hussars, ASC, KRRC, RAF ........a leg lost, youth lost, innocence lost, ........Tunes of Glory. 

I believe that only ownership by right of inheritance can bring ultimate responsibility.

Wow !  Your family's very own Hall of Honour.  What a responsibility but also what a great priviledge.  Nothing like that over here.

Edited by bif

Dear John,

Thanks for your kind words. My late mother's younger brother also won the MC.

The Australians tended to field Infantry divisions and flyers, rather than ancillary troops and the like: resulting in a high ratio of casualties - but also decorations...

My quietly-spoken father was extremely laconic about his 'gong', and rated his (off-topic) MiD action higher.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

8 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

main thing is that we as keepers of other's medals [not owners] keep them safe for the future and in the memory of the man/men involved

I can accept that posture if the medals are not of family. However, I most certainly own the seven family groups that I inherited, and my son will own them after me. And a succession beyond.

8 hours ago, Muerrisch said:

inheritance can bring ultimate responsibility

We are not falling out over this!

We agree on the point of origin and succession and its importance and consequential responsibility, but perhaps not on ownership [we can all have our own, perhaps different, opinions]

I keep my inherited/family groups as a keeper and not an owner (only the original recipient was the the true owner in my opinion)

They are cared for and will be passed on and further treasured and cared for after my time has come

[not that I am suggesting that non-family medals are not cared for by others - I think respect and desire to preserve the physical artefact and memory of the men comes with physical possession of medals, for most collectors anyway]

As for my direct close & their immediately wider family in the GW - 9 served overseas = 4 dead and 2 permanently physically maimed - and not a gong above the standard war medals - you can do the maths and draw whatever conclusion you wish.

My respect to all despite not having all the medals to hand.

I will keep the ones I have safe in memory of the original recipient/owner and in memory of all the rest too - as of course you obviously do too.  Long may it be the case.

8 hours ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Thanks for your kind words. My late mother's younger brother also won the MC.

The Australians tended to field Infantry divisions and flyers, rather than ancillary troops and the like: resulting in a high ratio of casualties - but also decorations...

My quietly-spoken father was extremely laconic about his 'gong', and rated his (off-topic) MiD action higher.

Kindest regards,

Kim,

Wanted to reply to you in a separate post.

Don't know whether you consider yourself an owner or keeper and that is really immaterial in the big scheme of things.

Keeping medals safe is the most important thing, and the memories too.

You very obviously care for your family's medals and the recipients' memories and very proudly too - quite right.

Whatever the situation re: Australians' deployment - MCs were not normally handed out just for being there.

Respect to all.

Thanks for sharing. 

Dear Matlock1418,

This might be of g1313713892_Aug1918CaptLindsay.Horsekilled2WiA.jpg.c7ab32cf46bc043ff9ace4939529c666.jpg347170259_1Aug1918Rec.MCCaptLindsay.jpg.065e00961d46b3a6108b8e013f8e1509.jpg2054342319_GenBirdwoodGOCAIF.jpg.3625be46a76350506083b4778eaff36a.jpg357055999_5abc03d03675f_CaptW.F.LindsayMCcardandLGCitation.jpg.02fc4a8d57567c00a164494b18c8f5c1(1).jpg.7754701c36e953f50849ff4571d5b713.jpg5abc03aaa0f27_8Sep1918Honoursrec.53BnAIF.jpg.5db0a4e1ad9fc0dfc216230d03f5e597.jpg.a264b6c0bdafc600158a34b0e8ed99b2.jpgMC_rev_small.jpg.26c301398c77390617f5f4d581293c1e.jpg1219635433_MessagePadCaptLindsayDCoy53BnAIF8.jpg.e47364ca4099af7dfbe16290c04698cb.jpg1238559581_Wounded1918CaptLindsay.jpg.def0379e05259d1777fd4a4ddccf545a.jpg203427891_CaptWFLindsayca_1920.jpg.e1ea9e81ecf9ee6fa7849637b77dce48.jpgeneral GWF interest.

Kindest regards,

Kim.