Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Alfred Langley 19th Hussars

My Great Uncle, Alfred Langley of Chippenham, Cambridgeshire, (born 1882 I think) was a regular soldier in the 19th Hussars and in 1909-10-11 was ranked Sergeant, winning  first prize in Riding and Jumping in the Royal Military Tattoo in each of those three years. I gather he also came second in each of those years, with a second horse. I have his cased medals for these events. A cousin also has a gold panel to him in one of those years for "tent pegging". I know his service number was 5110 as an enlisted man in 19th hussars From his medal card it seems that he was promoted to Staff Sergeant Major and Warrant Officer before on March 22 1916 he was commissioned as 2nd Lt but not sure if this was in the 19th Hussars or the the Wiltshires and  then became Captain, definitely in the 6th Wiltshires. I have no trace of him becoming 1st Lt.and I am unsure of his commissioned service number. He was Killed in Action September 20 1917, trying to take down a machine gun bunker which had his men pinned down. This happened  near or at the railway embankment  to east of Hollebeke village just north west of the site of the former Hollebeke Chateau. My Grandfather, his younger brother, was with the Cambridgeshires somewhere close by and heard that his brother had been killed  and somehow managed to get permission to  go and seek his grave, which he found and sketched with its temporary marker. I have that sketch made in indelible pencil on a piece of notepad. Alfred's remains were never found later, as a result of further fighting one assumes. He is memorialised  on one of the recess walls at Zonnebeke. I do not have any photos of him in full Hussars uniform, just one standing proud in working uniform as a corporal, one of him on a horse bounding over a jump, ranked Sergeant, one very smartly dressed in a straw boater and sports jacket in his home village of Chippenham Cambs,  and one of him in the uniform of a captain  in the Wiltshires. None of these images are in perfect condition.

I have lived most of my adult life in western Canada and do not know how to find any further information, such as when he joined the army, when his promotions came, where the 19th Hussars served during his time in that Regiment or anything in detail about his movements during WW1. I did discover that he was a week away from a period of leave to return to UK to be married when he was killed.  I would love to know more about him from the records which must or may exist, but I have no means of identifying or accessing what may be possible.

If anyone can help with filling in any of this jigsaw, I would be profoundly grateful.

Chris Langley

Vancouver, Canada

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum.

1 hour ago, Chris Langley said:

such as when he joined the army

He would have been able to join the Army with his parents permission at 16, but could sign on under adult terms at 18. The Army Service numbers blog has a page for the 19th Hussars and records that 4876 joined on 4th May 1900 and 5118 joined on 28th January 1901

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2012/04/19th-queen-alexandras-own-royal-hussars.html

Normal terms of engagement were 7 years in the colours and five in the reserves, although other options were available in that split of 12 years, and a man could extend his service further to qualify for an Army pension.

He can be found on the 1901 Census of England and Wales at the Cavalry Barracks in Canterbury, Kent, as an 18 year old Private in the 19th Hussars, born Chippenham, Cambridgeshire. (The census was taken at the end of March 1901)

As you have records of him still in the Army in 1911 it looks like he had signed up for the long haul !

On the 1911 Census of England and Wales, taken 2nd April 1911, he was recorded in the Barracks at Wellington Lines, at Aldershot in Hampshire as a 28 year old unmarried Sergeant in the 19th Hussars, born Chippenham, Cambridgeshire.

I couldn't obviously see any surviving other ranks service records for him, but the most likely explanation is that they have been rolled into his officers service record. (The alternative is they were kept separate and thus most likely lost at a fire in the warehouse where they were stored during the blitz in WW2). Officers Service records aren't online and as far as I'm aware there are no definate plans to digitise them. They can be viewed at the National Archive in the UK by arrangement - see https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1126083 for his specific record details. The Archive does an expensive copying service or there are researchers on this site who regularly visit and offer a copying service or can advise of those who do.

If you haven't already done so it may be worth checking Ancestry or FindMyPast to see if there are any other surviving records for him.

The catalogue entry records for his officers file shows him commissioned in the Duke of Edinburghs (Wiltshire Regiment).

In the immediate aftermath of the War and with the need to control the issue of Service Medals, the records clerks created a simple Medal Index Card (MiC) to keep track of everything. This is the single biggest source of documentation about individual soldiers that has survived. In Alfred's case it shows he didn't actually enter a Theatre of War, (France), until the 16th February 1916 and was by then a Squadron Sergeant-Major with the 19th Hussars. At the start of the war 19th Hussars had gone to France, so I don't know why Alfred wasn't with them.

The MiC shows he was commissioned in the field with the 6th Wiltshires on the 4th September 1916 as a 2nd Lieutenant. The card notes he was Killed in Action on the 20th September 1917. As he was an officer his medals had to be applied for. The claimant appears to be a Mrs Langley of New Cottage, Chippenham.

A basic transcript of  the Wiltshire Regiment War diaries are available online at the website for the museum they share with the Royal Berkshire Regiment.

https://www.thewardrobe.org.uk/research/war-diaries

The entry for the 6th battalion on the 4th September 1916 interestingly reads "Location. France, near Kemmel. Battalion left BUTTERFLY Camp at 4/15p.m and proceeded to Camp at DE SEULE. Very wet day - 2nd Lt. Langley joined from 19th Hussars. Remarks N.19a "

That for the 20th September 1917 has " Location Opaque Wood, Belgium.

The Battalion formed the right flank in the attack by the 2nd and 5th Armies on the MENIN ROAD adjoining ridges having the 9th Welsh on left and 2nd BEDFORDS (37 Divisions) on the W. bank of Canal on the right. The dispositions of the Battalion were as follows - D Company right assaulting Company, 'C' Company left assaulting Company, 'B' Company right supports, 'A' Company left support. Boundaries between Companies, the belt running S.E. by S from OPAQUE WOOD, the belt inclusive to Left Company. Carrying Party and Battalion Forward Command Post in rear. Battalion Battle H.Q. on N.E. side of Embankment BATTLE WOOD. At zero hour 5.40a.m Battalion advanced to the attack under a heavy creeping barrage by our artillery. Left front Company met with little opposition except for continuous Machine Gun Fire from the direction of CEMETERY EMBANKMENT. The machine guns appear to be located beyond the objective line and to fire through the Barrage. The dugouts in the wood at about O 6 a 7.7. were dealt with 3 Germans being killed and 19 taken prisoner. As 'D' Coy on the right seemed to meet with considerable resistance Capt. Williams (O.C. 'C' Coy) ordered his right front Lewis Gun to open a brisk fire on the dugouts in front of that Company. On the left the 9th Welch did not reach their objective until 30 minutes after 'C' Coy had begun consolidating - to cover his left flank Capt. Williams formed a defensive flank of posts and asked for assistance. These posts from the left rear platoon were subsequently withdrawn when the 9th Welch came up. The Company reached its objective O 6a 75.65 - O 6a 3.7 within 37 minutes of Zero and flares were lit in response to aeroplane calls at Zero plus 42. The consolidation was covered by Lewis Guns and the Company Snipers who were busily engaged endeavouring to pick off Germans moving down the railway embankment and also keeping down enemy sniping on the immediate front - one platoon sniper remained isolated in a forward position from the morning of the 20th until relieved on the night 21/22. Left Support Company consolidated its section of the intermediate line, several casualties were caused by sniping. The ground was very wet and water logged in places but firesteps were formed with sandbags. On different occasions one platoon was moved up to assist the left front Company to form a defensive flank before the 9th Welch had come into touch and later it was reinforced by a second platoon with orders to operate vigorously against HESSIAN WOOD which was then believed to be holding up 9 Welch. A battle patrol was sent out from the Company when the barrage lifted, although it discovered no enemy on the immediate front of the objective, it came across a bombing post recently vacated and some consolidated shell holes with iron shelters destroyed by artillery fire, on the 21st this section of the intermediate line was harassed by enemy snipers who made communications difficult, it was also subjected to considerable shellfire, the enemy apparently shooting by direct observation. All Officers of Right front Coy were killed on attaining their objectives therefore the only authentic information came from N.C.O's. On the embankment the attack was pushed well forward and a post established beyond the actual objective, this post was held until relief on the night 21/22 although at times heavily shelled. Touch was maintained with the 2nd Bedfords on the right near the canal. To the East of the Embankment Capt Langley led the attacks upon the dugouts S of GRAVES Copse. After he was killed the right section of his party took up positions in shell holes S. of the Copse and dug in at dusk. The left of the party which had reached the side of the CEMETERY found the ground in the immediate front broken and wet and without field of fire , the N.C.O in charge withdrew to the N. side of the Cemetery to obtain a better field of fire. The movement appears to have been carried out in an orderly manner and a line of posts dug on a semi circle, the left in touch with 'C' Coy but the right flank "in the air" although covered to the right front by the advanced posts. The right support Company had a short way to go and they began digging the immediate Line before it was sufficiently light to recognise the landmarks previously reconnoitred with the result that when it became light the position had to be rectified. Throughout the day they were troubled by sniping from left front and Machine Gun fire from Right front. A battle patrol was sent out but came back under considerable Machine Gun fire and suffered several casualties. Subsequently two platoons were moved to the Embankment which it was considered advisable to hold in greater strength as it covered the whole of the valley towards HESSIAN WOOD. Carrying parties assembled with loads of wire and stakes behind each of the supporting Companies whom they followed through but sniping and Machine Gun fire made it impossible for them to work in daylight. 20/21st. Consolidation continued during night of 20/21. Surplus personnel of Officers rejoined. Lt. Bone taking command of B Coy and 2Lt Blanchard rejoining 'D' Coy. Capt. Kent remaining at Battalion Headquarters and Major Tynan DSO at Brigade H.Q. "

There is probably more but it's now way past my bedtime. Will take another look in the morning and hopefully others will chip in.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Edited by PRC
Typo

The 19th Hussars, sadly, produced no regimental history post-war. The regiment now forms part of The Light Dragoons. This LINK provides a contact detail for research enquiries, and the Wiltshire Regiment, through various amalgamations, are now part of The Rifles. This LINK takes you to the museum research contact.

As an aside, the rank of 1st Lieutenant doesn't exist - it's simply 'Lieutenant'. It is possible that Alfred skipped that: in the exigencies of war a chap of his experience and ability may well have moved very quickly up the tree.

44 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

As an aside, the rank of 1st Lieutenant doesn't exist - it's simply 'Lieutenant'. It is possible that Alfred skipped that: in the exigencies of war a chap of his experience and ability may well have moved very quickly up the tree.

I took a look at the September 1917 Monthly Army List, (extract below) and at first glance it's a tad confusing.

My understanding is that names with an asterisk beside them are "Temporary" positions - but this was not temporary as in for a short period of acting up but temporary as in they were commissions that were only held for the duration of the war. As a Regular Army man this does not apply to Alfred. Therefore while he appears without an asterisk among the Lieutenants, his substantive rank of 2nd Lieutenant is shown in brackets after his name.

That would tend to imply it was either a temporary promotion or as a Regular Army Officer he was going through a period of probation. It's possibly the latter as he is shown with a date of seniority as a Lieutenant of the 3rd February 1917. The first page of the September 1917 list states the entries have been corrected to the 29th August 1917.

Apologies if I've misinterpreted anything from the information on the list - I'm taking a little knowledge and spreading it dangerously thin :)

11 hours ago, Chris Langley said:

I have no trace of him becoming 1st Lt.and I am unsure of his commissioned service number.

Officers did not have service numbers.

11 hours ago, Chris Langley said:

or anything in detail about his movements during WW1

Gazette report (one-liner!) of his initial appointment as a Second Lieutenant. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29776/supplement/9720/data.pdf

This is part of a list of Warrant Officers and N.C.O's promoted for Service in the Field.

Our parent site, The Long, Long Trail, has a brief bit here on the 19th Hussars. By the time Alfred joined them in the field they were part of 9th Cavalry Brigade in 1st Cavalry Division.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/cavalry-regiments/the-hussars/

1st Cavalry Division.

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/1st-cavalry-division/

6th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment were part of 58th Brigade in the 19th (Western Division)

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/the-duke-of-edinburghs-wiltshire-regiment/

19th (Western) Division

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/19th-western-division/

Copies of the relevant War Diaries can be downloaded from the UK National Archive for a small fee (GBP £3.50). If you have access to UK military records via Ancestry they should also be available there, although if you want to download from that site they they have to be done one page at a time.

I would generally recommend going for the Brigade Diaries for the Infantry Battalions - they tend to cover a shorter period but have (usually) typed up copies of the war diaries and usually retain appendices and maps that may have gone missing from the battalion version.

19th Hussars  - April 1915 to March 1919. Archive reference WO 95/1115/2  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351445

(9th Cavalry Brigade has numerous parts for each time period. The catalogue entry doesn't say what each part contains so could be rather expensive trial and error to find out)

58th Brigade

1st September 1916 to 30th November 1916. WO 95/2088/1 https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14054011

1st December 1916 to 31st May 1917. WO 95/2088/2 https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14054012

1st June 1917 to 31st August 1917. WO 95/2088/3 https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14054013

1st September 1917 to 31st December 1917. WO 95/2088/4  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C14054014

6th Wiltshire July 1915 to May 1918 https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353067

There is no obvious civil probate for him - as an officer he would be expected to have a will rather than depend on the standard will form in his paybook (which he would no longer have). However there is an interesting candidate in the Soldiers Will's held by the UK Probate Service - an A. Langley, no service number, who died on the 20th September 1917. Copies are currently available from the probate service  (GBP £1.50). But they may not add much - quite often it's a one line "I leave everything to my mother" and if it's a certifiled copy even the "signature" may be typed.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Wills?Surname=Langley&SurnameGrants=Langley&YearOfDeath=1917&YearOfDeathGrants=1917&IsGrantSearch=False&IsCalendarSearch=False&page=2#soldiers

Ancestry has the Army Register of Soldiers Effects. This will show who the balance of his pay and War Gratutiy was paid to, and (sometimes) if a pension was awarded to dependants.

Hope that helps,

Peter

6th Battalion Wiltshire Regiment Lieutenants Army List September 1917.png