Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

No records of man eligible? to serve

johnboy

15 hours ago, johnboy said:

don;t know Dai. I cant open your link. Maiden Name was  May Wray 

Not Fay Wray? ........ King Kong.....Just a thought:wub:

So we do know he is the KRRC man- all helps.  I cannot see a debriefing record for him as a POW.   Do we know when he was reported "Missing"?    This might enable us to work out when he was lost from KRRC-and to have a look at any debrief reports from 1918-1919 to see what happened to KRRC and those captured by Germans

8 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Not Fay Wray? ........ King Kong.....Just a thought:wub:

So we do know he is the KRRC man- all helps.  I cannot see a debriefing record for him as a POW.   Do we know when he was reported "Missing"?    This might enable us to work out when he was lost from KRRC-and to have a look at any debrief reports from 1918-1919 to see what happened to KRRC and those captured by Germans

John is the KRRC man Captured Battle of the Dunes along with many others.

Going back to the man in question , Alfred. Was he ruled out for service on medical grounds? Was he sent for munitions Service? How did he get The shop/shops in Danbury Street? Not being that good at family trees I now see that it could be helpful.Who were Alfreds uncles or cousins? Did they include a Jonas Hewish , Eagle street,

I am trying to see if any money could have come from other family members. I think Alfreds father died around 1911 leaving his mother Emma a widow to bring up 4 children One son ,John was a house painter, The other , Thomas was an Apprentice, so I assume Not much money coming in.

15 hours ago, johnboy said:

I don;t know Dai. I cant open your link. Maiden Name was  May Wray 

FMP confirm death year as 1918

The link isn't important johnboy.

It only links to an image of the page in the GRO register. It wouldn't give any extra detail.

1932 Electoral Roll shows Alfred and Florence at 36 Danbury street but abode 2 Fortress road NW5. 32 and 34 are under 2 other names. I am now wondering if the shops were only rented and Alfred  had only taken over the rents on the three originally

1919 electoral roll shows Alfred and Florence at 34 Danbury street.

Edited by johnboy

Have you tracked them down on the 1939 National Register?

On FMP, (and possibly Ancestry), the scan of the original document has been taken in such a way thay you can usually see the first column of the facing page.That columns header is "See Instructions". What it appears to have been used for subsequently is to record WW2 Civil Defence roles. While not everyone who served in the  Air Raid Police \ Special Constabulary \ National Fire Service \ St Johns Ambulance et al had previous Armed Forces experience, I would have thought for most males born before 1900 this would have been the case.

It's not definative, it doesn't include the Home Guard and I've no doubt there were far more veterans of the Great War still alive in 1939 than ever served in all those organisations put together. It's just I've had the pleasure of researching a few Norfolk Village Rolls of Honour for those who served rather than just those who died and there seems to be a strong correlation with them turning up on the 1939 National Register in those roles - if they lived that long.

On the odd occasion the notes in that column also reference previous military service - particularly if the man was an officer or senior NCO. It may also reference when an individual was released from the Civil Defence Roll to serve in the Armed Forces - although admittedly I've only come across that twice since these records became available.

Will probably be a blank, but always worth a check. Sometimes the information being looked for will turn up in the oddest of places :)

Cheers,

Peter

I will check 1939 Register I think it will show him at The greenway Hendon.

I have downloaded a PO directory for about 1891 700 odd pages long, to try and find original keeper of the shops

13 minutes ago, johnboy said:

The 1939 register throws up more questions Alfred is shown as Provisions shop Foreman and the 3 rd entry is strange

Could "Foreman" be "Salesman"

Mike

possibly Mike.it says foreman on transcription but could have been misread, The 3rd entry is strange

Edited by johnboy

6 minutes ago, johnboy said:

possibly Mike. The 3rd entry is strange

You mean Florence M M Paine (Hewish) born 1920. Don't you recognize the name?

Mike

15 minutes ago, Skipman said:

You mean Florence M M Paine (Hewish) born 1920. Don't you recognize the name?

Mike

And there's more:

Births Mar 1917   (>99%)
Hewish  Alfred L  Slade  Shoreditch  1c 92  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view
Hewish  Frederick T  Slade  Shoreditch  1c 93  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1918   (>99%)
Hewish  Alfred J  Slade  Eastbourne  2b 98  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Jun 1920   (>99%)
Hewish  Florence M M  Slade  Islington  1b 647  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Dec 1922   (>99%)
Hewish  David  Slade  Islington  1b 489  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1924   (>99%)
Hewish  Leonard R  Slade  Islington  1b 435  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Jun 1926   (>99%)
Hewish  Dennis  Slade  Islington  1b 407  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Sep 1927   (>99%)
Hewish  Ronald  Slade  Islington  1b 402  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Births Jun 1930   (>99%)
Hewish  Rheta  Slade  Islington  1b 434  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

I don't think I would know her name But if she was born 1920 why was she still using Paine in 1939?  Adopted or result of naughties by mother?

She married sometime after 1939.

Paine is her married name.

They kept the register going well into the 1970s (I think), as the National Registration number continued as the NHS number.

Women as they married had their entries amended with their married surname.

Marriages Jun 1942   (>99%)
Hewish  Florence M M  Paine  Hendon  3a 1582  btnInfo.gif Scan available - click to view

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks Dai. Sorting out where all these people fit in is a nightmare for me!

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

She married sometime after 1939.

Paine is her married name.

Married Edit second quarter 1942

Mike

Edited by Skipman

1 minute ago, Skipman said:

Married Edit second quarter 1942

Mike

So why use the name 2 yrs before marriage?

I think the last entry might be correct.Seen the name West on another marriage record on FMP. Bethnal Green would tie in. Florence died1993 registered Barnet 

Before I started this topic. I wondered why I had not heard of him. I wondered if he fell out with his family because he had not fought during the war.One brother killed, one brother a POW. I have no evidence of exemption from service. Now I am back to thinking there was a family fallout for whatever reason.

In 1939 he lived a 10 minute walk from his brother, John, wife and nephew and nieces.I saw my granddad and nan ,weekly. I would have thought i would have met him at some time

1 hour ago, johnboy said:

So why use the name 2 yrs before marriage?

The word 'PAINE' wasn't written in the register in 1939.

It would have been added after she got married.

For example, in the 1939 register, my mum's maiden surname is crossed out and married surname written in.

She got married in 1951.

1 hour ago, Skipman said:

Hmmm this from 1940 so not sure where we are or who's who?

Mike

Florence M Paine 1940.PNG

1 hour ago, johnboy said:

I think the last entry might be correct.Seen the name West on another marriage record on FMP. Bethnal Green would tie in. Florence died1993 registered Barnet 

But it might be a co-incidence.

There are a lot of "Florence M"s around.

Of the 22 Florence Paines married between 1940 and 1983, 9 were 'Florence M's.

Alfred's daughter was Florence M. M.

I think this is the correct one. i Think her full name was Florence Maud Minnie.from other docs I have Seen

Thanks for help. I seem to have had a few unknown relatives. But no answer as to why Alfred did not serve