Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For Services and Sacrifice medallion.

Stuart Brown

Can anyone suggest the organisation that this medallion might belong to / issued by ? For Services and Sacrifice 1914 - 1918 appears in the circle and R something? is the centrepiece. Thank you.

Thank you Ian - I had not considered that. It was made by Fattorini & Sons of Bradford. Fattorini of Birmingham made many medallions and badges during this period so Yorkshire and the surrounding areas may have a bearing on the originator of the medallion.

Stuart, this is a long shot, but

Ian's mention of trades unions led me to thinking about the other fraternities/brotherhoods/societies around at the beginning of the last century and what could fit the initials IRO or IOR or similar

Was there something called the International Order of Rosicrucians ?

or the like

I think that there was also a temperance society called the Independent Order of Rechabites; could be one of their's?

Regards

Michael D.R.

Edited by michaeldr

• 4 weeks later...

Michael,

Thank you for this posting. I feel sure that you are on the right track. A search reveals many references to the two orders you mention. To date I have failed to make a definite identification but it certainly has helped.

Stuart

Stuart,

Glad to have been of some small help.

I am fairly sure that my late mother used to be a 'Rechabite' when she was young, however during her nursing service in WW II she picked up a few bad habits, one of which I am guilty of myself (says he putting down his glass.)

Pleased to see that you have been able to fit the recent Ramleh pictures onto your 'Rev. Pointon' site and many thanks for the credit

Very best regards

Michael D.R.

Michael,

There are many possibilities for your suggestion to go at yet so here's hoping.

If anything is innacurate regarding Ramleh please advise - as I said before I never expeced to see it how it is today.

oops, just knocked my glass over.

• 5 months later...

You may get assistance in confirming the origin of the medal from:

The Chief Executive

Rechabite Friendly Society Ltd.

1 North Parade

deansgate

Manchester

M3 2WD

The Local Studies Department of Manchester Central Library also holds Rechabite data.