Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed

wedgemondo

Hi. I'm new to this and have a few items that I know nothing about. One is the nice looking tin pictured below. Can anyone shed any light upon it please. It's about 95mm high. Thanks in anticipation

20191006_122220.jpg

20191006_122056.jpg

20191006_122155.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

It is trench art, made from an old (German) shell and a Norfolk regiment cap badge.

Look up trench art or look for some old threads on here about the subject.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Spelling.

41 minutes ago, wedgemondo said:

Hi. I'm new to this and have a few items that I know nothing about. One is the nice looking tin pictured below. Can anyone shed any light upon it please. It's about 95mm high. Thanks in anticipation

20191006_122220.jpg

20191006_122056.jpg

20191006_122155.jpg

Hi,

Very nice. 

It is a trench art tobacco jar made from a pair of German shell casings that have been cut down in size. 

Here’s one from my collection with a Royal Fusiliers cap badge attached. 

67B3B907-0032-44C4-BFAD-655711AB36C5.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

Well that was quick. Thank you very much. I have a few other items that i'm hoping her indoors will let me keep. I expect i'll get away with a few small items if i choose wisely. 

Thanks again for the info.

Post #3.

That's interesting trench art. I always thought that Audruicq was a huge ammo depot made up of hundreds of huts, and the site of a huge explosion when a German aircraft dropped some bombs on it.

I didn't think line regiments were there at all. I'd have expected a Ordnance Corps or RASC badge with those dates.

47 minutes ago, Gunner Bailey said:

I didn't think line regiments were there at all. I'd have expected a Ordnance Corps or RASC badge with those dates.

GB,

I had a look around the LLT, CWG website and some War Diaries. The only WW1 grave in Audruicq cemetery is a Padre. There is a Fusilier in Bayenghem-Les-Eperlecques Churchyard and a London in Bleue-Maison Military Cemetery, Eperlecques (both nearby).

2/14th (County of London) Battalion moved to France in 1918 and was at Audruicq from 01 - 07 Jul 18.
2/15th, 2/16th and 2/17th (County of London) Battalions also moved to France, arriving at Audruicq on 30 Jun but then moving on. 

All this is pretty tenuous evidence. It may be that the Fusilier who served there for so long was on detached duty with the AOC.

I've got interested. Is there a name?

Acknown

As far as I know Audruicq was a storage depot for Artillery Rounds. The only reason I can think of for a Regimental presence was some sort of liaison position regarding the ordering of small arms ammunition (if it was stored there) before supplies were passed to ammunition trains.

I can understand regiments stopping there for say a night as it was well provided with rail links to the ports. But did not know of any transit camp there.

It's not my area of knowledge so someone else on the forum may have a better theory.

My error. 2/14th arrived at Audruicq, but then proceeded to billeting area Serques 27a.SE.R.7.a.6.4.

Acknown

5 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:
3 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

As far as I know Audruicq was a storage depot for Artillery Rounds. The only reason I can think of for a Regimental presence was some sort of liaison position regarding the ordering of small arms ammunition (if it was stored there) before supplies were passed to ammunition trains.

Post #3.

That's interesting trench art. I always thought that Audruicq was a huge ammo depot made up of hundreds of huts, and the site of a huge explosion when a German aircraft dropped some bombs on it.

Thanks. 

Audruicq was a ROD Stores Depot and became the main ROD Workshop, repairing Loco's, trucks and wagons.

The Tobacco Jar is made from a pair of 3in 20cwt Anti Aircraft Shell casings; used to protect against pesky German aircraft dropping bombs.

4 hours ago, Acknown said:

I've got interested. Is there a name?

Acknown

Two names; Signed and dedicated. 

From. G.S. Lynde to W.G. Wolrige Gordon.

Gilbert Sommerville Lynde. O.B.E.

B. 1890.   Educated at Sedbergh.   1906-1909 Trained at the Gorton Works of the Great Central Railway under Chief Engineer John G. Robinson.   Helped to design the 1911  2-8-0 8K Class Locomotive.   1914 Enlisted 2nd Public Schools Battalion, Royal Fusiliers.  Commissioned. Oct.1914  Overseas. Nov 1915. Capt. 18th Manchester Regiment.

M.i.D.   L.G. 18/5/17 -  1112/17 - 23/12/18. 

The War office seconded Sir Sam Fay, General Manager of the GCR to the Railway Executive Committee; in 1917 he became Director of Movements at The War Office, bringing with him his protégé; G.S. Lynde. 

GCR supplied 525  - 8K 2-8-0 locomotives for service with the ROD, renamed MM Class (Ministry of Munitions). 

In 1925 Lynde became Chief Engineer for Beyer Peacock (Beyer Garratt Loco's). 

D. 14th Aug. 1954.

Walter Gordon Wolrige-Gordon. 

B. 29/1/1861 D. 21/6/1938.

Educated. Eton.

"Egyptian Expedition,1884 - Soudan. Battle of Teb (Slightly Wounded). Medal with Clasp; Bronze Star. Soudan Expedition, 1884-85. - Nile. Action of Kirbekan. 2 Clasps.  Operations in Matabeleland, 1893-94.  South African War, 1901-02. - Queens Medal with 5 Clasps, The War of 1914-19. - Despatches. Lond.Gaz., 15 Jun 16,  22 May 17,  18 Dec. 17 and 5 July 19. Brev. Lt. Col. O.B.E"   -  (Another source has MiD x5)

Overseas Nov 1915. Maj. 19th Royal Fusiliers.  (Disbanded 24th April 1916).   1919 Lt. Col. Black Watch.

I'm guessing both Lynde and Gordon were based at Audruicq. 

Tobac.Jar, Sign.jpg

Gordon. R.Fus...jpg

Tobac.Jar..2.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

On 06/10/2019 at 14:06, wedgemondo said:

Apologies for hijacking your thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, wedgemondo said:

Sorry I messed up take photos. I'll try again. The base of the last piece 

20191019_180141.jpg

French 75mm casing. 

22 minutes ago, wedgemondo said:

Another casing. Hope that's right. 20191019_180325.jpg.35c013010d7725a902d0e5cc7bc0d9ca.jpg

Very nicely decorated trench art, German I believe. 

23 minutes ago, wedgemondo said:

Finally this timer. 

20191027_164707.jpg

If you look with a magnifying glass you should find a date, model and lot number on the fuse.  

yes thanks. i had a clean up underneath,(the fuse obviously),  and found the following:    BMC  30 17 -17   On the inner ring it says : No 80 NVII NE Co Threre is also an arrow head in an oval.

Edited by wedgemondo

Hi,

A No.80, time and percussion fuse, made in 1917, used with the 18lb shrapnel shell. 

See this site,   http://www.passioncompassion1418.com/decouvertes/english_fusees_collection_gb.html , your fuse is halfway down the page.

Forum member "14276265" gives BMC as British Munitions Company of Montreal, Canada, and that from early 1916, they assembled fuses using components from a variety of manufacturers; you may find more markings on the bottom ring of the main fuse body, below the timer ring.  The arrowhead in an oval is most likely in a "C";  the Canadian acceptance mark. 

On 14/11/2019 at 11:44, wedgemondo said:

Thank you GWF1967. That's great info. This is where I got the markings from

20191114_114046.jpg

Nice clean markings. Component/s made by NE Co. assembled by BMC. 

Here’s an example from my collection with BMC mark in the same place, it also has marks for two different manufacturers and a Canadian acceptance mark. 

03A60A6C-BBF1-4CC2-8A2D-4B32F694FD23.jpeg

F9B8B4F6-4785-42E0-88BC-69AC13A0C5A7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...