Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Something special

keithmroberts

Today the Salonika Campaign Society, paid its annual tribute to the dead of that campaign by laying a wreath at the Cenotaph, marking the first of the armistices that brought the Great War to its end..

After that ceremony the AGM was Joined by the grand-daughter of Field Marshal Lord Milne who participated in our most recent walking tour of the battlefields.

Anne brought two items to share with us. Firstly one of Lord Milne's passports.   I wonder how many have British passports have ever recorded the holder's occupation as "Chief of The Imperial General Staff".  Unfortunately my photograph of the passport is rubbish so I am not posting it.

The other item that she brought, a family treasure indeed, was his Field Marshal's cap. i don't expect that I will ever handle another one.

Keith

IMG_0007.JPG

It was great to meet so many "old friends" at the Cenotaph yesterday and at our AGM afterwards.  Interesting Serbian film shown and an excellent talk by Robin Braysher on the Advance of the French North African Cavalry to Skopje in 1918.  Having our new Patron there with the Field Marshall's items was the icing on the cake.

It was indeed. The Serbian film was excellent, but the icing, or should it be scrambled egg,  was as you say special.

Keith