Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cameron Highlanders 1914

Nick1914

Dear All, I would appreciate any background/bios on the following 2nd lieutenants promoted from the ranks or field commissions in October 1914 and all casualties before years end:

Joseph Pringle - from Gordon Highlanders

William C?? Robertson - from Gordon Highlanders

William Gordon 

Harry Leah - from Cameron Highlanders

Also the following officers the last 2 being casualties on 22nd Dec 1914 during the Defence of Givenchy:

J M Davidson - Special Reserve

2nd Lt  Arthur G?? Dunsterville  - Regular - but when commissioned?

Lt P E Everard - nk

Finally Lt Adam Cathcart Lampson(later lt-colonel) - 2nd Bn but evacuated to UK sick with septicaemia around 14th Nov 1914.  As the 2nd Bn was in Poona and only disembarked in France 20th Dec 1914 I'm assuming Lampson was attached to 1st Bn?  Home on leave? If so did he join the 1st Bn as a reinforcement?

Thanks in advance.  Nick

Arthur Geoffrey Dunsterville commissioned into the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1st October 1914 -

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/28920/supplement/7779

Name:A G Dunsterville

Military Year:1914

Medal Awarded:1914 Star

Regiment or Corps:Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Sub Unit:1st Battalion

Previous Units:(3rd A. & S.H.)

Medal Forfeited:Yes

Mike

Harry Leah:

Name:H Leah

Military Year:1914

Medal Awarded:1914 Star

Regiment or Corps:Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Disembarked 14th August 1914

Regimental Number:7167

Commissioned 16th Sept 1914 (Gazette 23/10/14)

2nd Lieutenant to Lieutenant 22nd Feb 1915 (Gazette 7/6/15)

Lieutenant (Cam High) to Asst. Instructor Machine Gun School 1st October 1916

Mike

Dear All, many thanks for your efforts and confirming commission facts.  Also for details on Lt Dunsterville from which I've now been able to discover more knowing his full name - ie born in India in 1895, son of a colonel etc.

However, it would be most useful if any other Cameron Highlanders experts could fill in outstanding name and bio details or address the Lt Lampson questions.

Best, Nick

LAMPSON. ADAM. CATHCART

Born 27th Oct 1883. Son of N.G.L. .,DL, and his wife HELEN,

2nd Lieutenant 14th Feb 1903. Lieutenant 16th May1908. T/Captain 17th Sept 1914. Captain 27th Sept 1914. T/Major 8th Nov. 1915-1921. Major 14th Feb 1918. Retired Major 24th May 1921.

L A L Joined the 1st Bn Cameron Highlanders at Fort George. 21st May 1903. Served with the Bn in Dublin and Tidworth He left the 1st Bn at Aldershot and served with the 2nd Bn at Bangalore from Feb 1910; On sick-list when the Bn  embarked for France Dec 1914. Served World War One.. He re- joined the 2nd Bn. early 1915. and he was in temporary command ater of the Bn after the heavy casualties at Sanctuary Wood May 1915.Second in Command of the Battalion when it embarked for Salonika in Nov. 1915. He assumed Command of the Battalion  on the 9th Aug 1916on the promotion of L Col A. D.  Macpherson And he was A/Lt Colonel when he was wounded at the capture of Karadzakoi-Zir 30th Sept. 1916.For his services in World War One he was Mentioned in Dispatches. .L. G. Jan 1916. 1914 Star. BWM. Victory7 Medal. 

Information from  the Historical Records of the Cameron Highlanders. Vol. VII.

Rob.

LEAH. HARRY.

Born. ROGART. SUTHERLAND. 5th. July 1885. Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. LEAH of Broadford Isle of Skye. (Two of his brothers served in the rank of the Cameron's in World War 1)

Educated Broadford Public School; Married ISABEL GREEST Daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. E GREEST of Pithill  Hambledon Hants.

His service  is 2nd Lieutenant 1st Oct 1914. Lieutenant 22nd Feb 1915; Captain(T/Major) 1st July 1917;  Major 4th Nov 1929Retired Major 30th May 1935; Re-employed Major Quartermaster 4th Battalion (TA) 1st June 1935; relinquished appointment as Quartermaster 20th October 1938; Recalled, T/Lt Col 10th July 1940; Retired (HON) Lt Col 2nd Sept 1938.

Enlisted. 30th Mar 1905. (No 7167) and served in the ranks of the Regiment for 9 years 185 days Appointed to Regular Commission when in the rank of Sergeant Asst. Instructor MG School 1st Oct 1916 t0 1923. January 1917 From June 1916 for 5 years , he was seconded to the Machinegun Corps. T/Major. Croix de Guerre (French) Mentioned in Dispatches L.G. 10th July 1919. 1914 Starr BWM Victory Medal.

He Served continuously with the 1st Battalion from 1921 except for a tour of duty at the Regimental Depot 1925 to 1928 until shortly before his retirement in 1935. Acting as Second in Command and on several occasions officiating as Commanding Officer of the 79th.. A fine officer, he was exceptionally well liked, as well as respected, by all ranks.

In World War II. he commanded the 6th and 30th Battalions July 1940 to April 1942.(Certificate for good service, C in C ., Home Forces Award 1942)Garrison Commander. Port A., 1942-44; Permanent President F G C M., 1944-48 Defence and War Medal.

Information as above post.  Rob.      

Dear Rob, very many thanks for your great and extensive work this was exceptionally helpful.

I'm still a little puzzled on Lampson's career. It was good that you confirmed he had moved from 1st to 2nd Bn in 1910 and served in Bangalore.

According to "British Regiments - 1914-18 by Brig E A James(Naval & Military Press) the 2nd Bn sailed from Bombay 16th Oct 1914 and arrived Devonport in the UK 16th Nov 1914 joining 81st Bde, 27th Division and then sailing for France 20th Dec 2014.  You also confirmed that Lampson was sick and did not embark.  However this is where our narratives differ.  I have Lampson I think from medical records file MH106 evacuated from France to Queen Alexandra Military Hospital London on 14th Nov 1914 for 21 days after which he was convalescing at Lady Mountgarrett's hospital at 18 Cadogan Gardens, London.  As you rightly confirmed he then rejoined the 2nd Bn early in 1915.  My hypothesis is that Lampson may have been back in the UK on leave(after 3-4 years in India) and actually was attached to the 1st i Belgium when he contracted septicaemia........any thoughts anyone??

Finally thanks for the Harry Leah narrative a long and distinguished service from the ranks which deserves being on the record.

PS Where have you accessed the Historical Record of the Cameron Highlanders Vol VII or is it something you own?

Again Rob, thanks for all your time.  Nick

The dates I am finding are as follows... 1st Battalion Cameron Highlanders. Feb 1st 1910.  A draft of over 100 N.C Officers and men under Lieutenant  A.C. Lampson, left  Aldershot to Join the 2nd Battalion at Bangalore.

May 1915. the 2nd Bn was in the vicinity of the Menin Road A, B, and C Coy's held the north east face of Sanctuary Wood on the evening of the 10th May late that night  a draft arrived  from base and with it Captain A.C. Lampson .

So that give an Idea of dates but there is no mention of A C L in the Narrative of the 1st or 2nd prior to these dates.  This from Historical Rec Vol III

Vol VIII part of 8 Vol Set  in my Library.  . Rob.