Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French sea planes with RNAS in egypt 1915

Hello to all

I am interested in the history of aviation in the Middle East and I am pleased to be a member of this forum.

When I read the history of aviation in the Middle East, I always stopped at the beginning of the use of sea planes for reconnaissance and aerial survey in on the eastern front which was especially located Egypt.

I have two questions that I would like to find the answer for it.

1- It is known that the Great Britain have hired from French naval aviation to do some operations, was this cooperation by borrowing sea planes or pilots or sea planes with its pilots?

2-Ships from the Indian Royal marine, were involved in operations ship not classified as an aircraft carrier like the ship (HSM HARDINGE) It is classified as a troop ship, and in the operational documents of the British Air Force Corps in June 1915 in the Red Sea the seaplanes had taken off from this ship, is there any changes to the ship or there is something I didn't understand?

Does anyone have the answers and be thankful to him?

Thanks to all

Edited by Guest

Hello Bader,

The French naval air arm sent Nieuport seaplanes, pilots and ground crew to Port Said in late 1914, under the command of Lieutenant Henry de l’Escaille. They flew with British observers, and were under the operational orders of the Royal Navy, reporting to the chief intelligence officer, Canal Defences, at Port Said.

The French seaplanes operated from improvised seaplane carriers (like HMS Anne, Raven and RIMS Hardinge) until May 1916, when they left to form a new station at Argostoli on the Ionian island of Cephalonia.

Hardinge appears to have only carried seaplanes in June 1915 (Cronin). In the Cross & Cockade Nieuports book, there are two pictures of N16 being hoisted aboard her.

Some books to search out:

Cronin, D 1990, Royal Navy shipboard aircraft developments, 1912-1931, Tonbridge : Air-Britain.
Feuilloy, R & Morareau, L 2014-2016, ‘L’aéronautique maritime en 1914/1915/1916’, Les cahiers de l’Ardhan numbers 25, 27 and 29, Association pour la recherche de documentation sur l’histoire de l’aéronautique navale (ARDHAN).
Morareau, L et al. 1999, L’aviation maritime française pendant la Grande Guerre : hydravions et avions, Paris: ARDHAN.
Weldon, LB 1926, ‘Hard lying’ : Eastern Mediterranean 1914-1919, London : Herbert Jenkins Ltd.