Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jaeger6

Offer: Caudry, Maison Blanche, Lorette, Langemark

Jaeger6

Next Friday I attend the German ceremony at Langemark (anyone elso from this forum there?). During the weekend I will definitely visit the following cemeteries where I can take some pictures if requested.

Langemark, German cemetery

British Menin Road cemeteries (Hooge Crater, Birr Crossroads, Menin Road South)

Caudry, German and British cemeteries

Lempire, Unicorn Cemetery (British)

Neuville - St. Vaast, Maison Blanche (German)

Mémorial International de Notre-Dame-de-Lorette

If anyone needs a photo please feel free to ask, also if you need a photo of something on the road Cambrai - Arras - Neuville - Souchez.

Furthermoe, I try to find some locations around Vendhuile / The Knoll and south of Menin Road (Zillebeke, Zandvoorde, Geluveld), so there are some possibilites to take photos, too.

I'd be glad if I could be of any help.

Markus

AOK4
13 minutes ago, Martin Feledziak said:

There is a nice museum just on the way up to Mémorial International de Notre-Dame-de-Lorette

worth a visit if you have time.

https://memorial1418.com/en/memorial-interpretation-centre/

Don't go there (I believe it's even not open now as they are working there), I strongly recommend the museum at the other end of the Loretto cemetery and the one at La Targette crossroads.

27 minutes ago, Jaeger6 said:

Next Friday I attend the German ceremony at Langemark (anyone elso from this forum there?).

Markus

I will be there.

Jan

thetrenchrat22

Markus, 

if you could be so kind 

Birr Cross Roads Cemetery 

Plot 1, Row B, Grave 33 

Unknown British Serjeant, Highland Light Infantry

Thank you

Alan

Martin Feledziak
2 hours ago, AOK4 said:

not open

The web site does not suggest that it is closed. It was free to enter last year and I very much enjoyed it.

I agree that the family run museum towards the back of the Notre Damme church is also worthy of a visit. That was 5 euro to enter. Still worth it.

I suspect Markus already has an epic agenda so we should not tempt him with other must see stuff

GraemeClarke

Morning Markus,

many thanks for the generous offer. If possible,

Menin Road South (mostly together)

Albert Victor WEARING in Grave I.A.3

Thomas MURPHY in Grave I.A.4

Herbert DAVIS in Grave I.A.6

W H MILLS in Grave I.A.7

John SUMNER on Menin Road North Memorial 45

Are these the cemeteries you are visiting ??

Unicorn Cemetery, Vend’Huile

Joseph DINSDALE in Grave I.A.5

Albert CARNELL in Grave II.F.3

St. Vaast Post Military Cemetery

George Henry SMITH in Grave II.J.4

Nicholas QUINN in Grave III.R.8.

Many thanks once again,

Regards,

Graeme

BillyH

Markus,

Could you please do two for me?

Birr Cross Roads

Smith  (IV.C.1) and Healey (also IV.C.1)

BillyH.

deacs

Hello Markus thank you for this offer could I have a photo from Birr Cross Road please.

BIRR CROSS ROAD CEMETRY.

Major F.O.C Nash. 5th Northumberland Fusiliers. III.B.20.

Regards Mike. 

Mangham1

Markus,

Thank you for your kind offer.

I would be grateful for two photos from the Menin Road South Military Cemetery:

Company Sjt Major T. BRIGGS  I. I. 19

Pte R. GREEN                           I. O. 36

Best wishes,

Grant

Marilyne

Some pics of Notre Dame WITHOUT FOG would be nice… LOL... Last time I was up there I had Glorious weather until 5 km before ND… then could not see 2 meters in front of me…

I concur with Martin about the interpretation Center… it's a nice museum and I enoyed my visit there. On the other hand, the museum at La Targette crossroads was closed and seems to be very very closed… somebody at the Memorial told me the collection had been moved to the new interpretation center.

M.

thetrenchrat22
On 04/10/2019 at 19:24, thetrenchrat22 said:

Markus, 

if you could be so kind 

Birr Cross Roads Cemetery 

Plot 1, Row B, Grave 33 

Unknown British Serjeant, Highland Light Infantry

Thank you

Alan

Also in Birr Cross Roads cemetery 

plot 2, Row E, Graves 28, 29 and 30 

5 Unknown Soldier’s of the Cheshire Regiment

steandpaula

Hi Markus, if you could take a few photos from the Beselare (N303) road, around the De Kortekeer b&b looking towards the woods and A19 and German side of advance towards the woods in October 1914 I would be very grateful. I have a small theme of POW's taken 24/10/14 ( Scots and Coldstream Guards, Black Watch and Camerons) all who were around this area when the Germans broke through at the crossroads on the Menin Roan.

Cheers

Ste M  

Jaeger6

Hi everyone,

in a few hours I will leave for Belgium and France. I hope that the weather will allow me to take the requested photos, the weather report looks good so far - not even fog around Lorette. After my return on Tuesday I will send you the photos. This will be a remembrance tour for my greatgreatuncle Ernst Komander whose fate I discovered just this summer, so this short trip will not allow me to visit many other places, but thanks for all your suggestions.

Markus

Martin Feledziak

Have a wonderful adventure.

I was there August 2018 to visit family plots.

It was during the heat wave and was sweltering hot.

DSC_0842.JPG.0a4343baf8fc9db0b10c7768c17bd301.JPG

DSC_0854.JPG.ee865d7026f5833ddbbb96a22ced0934.JPG

Edited by Martin Feledziak

Fattyowls

Markus, sorry for the late response but I have just seen your very kind offer. If you happen to be on Zandvoordestraat coming out of Geluveld there is a panoramic view looking towards Zandvoorde and I think the Messines ridge to the right. It is just after the first bend you come to. If you see this before you go and you can stop safely to take a photograph I would be very grateful if you could take a couple of pictures.  I think this spot defines what an important location the village was.

Don't worry if you don't get this in time or it isn't possible, I need to go back there myself.

Have a great trip, I'll be very interested to know how it goes.

Pete.

AOK4
7 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Markus, sorry for the late response but I have just seen your very kind offer. If you happen to be on Zandvoordestraat coming out of Geluveld there is a panoramic view looking towards Zandvoorde and I think the Messines ridge to the right. It is just after the first bend you come to. If you see this before you go and you can stop safely to take a photograph I would be very grateful if you could take a couple of pictures.  I think this spot defines what an important location the village was.

Pete.

It does Pete, I often explain that to people I am guiding.

Jan

egbert
9 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

..... If you happen to be on Zandvoordestraat coming out of Geluveld there is a panoramic view looking towards Zandvoorde and I think the Messines ridge to the right. It is just after the first bend you come to. If you see this before you go and you can stop safely to take a photograph I would be very grateful if you could take a couple of pictures.  I think this spot defines what an important location the village was.

Pete.

That's why my Grandfather took it from the Brits 1914

Fattyowls

Danke, meine Freunde

13 hours ago, AOK4 said:

It does Pete, I often explain that to people I am guiding.

Jan

I still remember turning onto Zandvoordestraat and seeing that view for the first time. Unfortunately I didn't photograph it hence my late request to Markus. What I try to remember to do when I visit such key areas is to find a vantage point looking the other way. The commanding view over Zandvoorde to the Messines ridge is almost matched by the view looking east from the Menenstraat just beyond Geluveld, so denying that to the British in 1914 and in 1917 was also important. I've been thinking about your previous post about the British efforts (or lack of them) to take Geluveld in the autumn of 1917 and that view and the one I asked Markus for are partly why I asked him.

11 hours ago, egbert said:

That's why my Grandfather took it from the Brits 1914

Along with his friends and comrades from IR49, and he became the temporary host for two pieces of metal if I remember correctly. Maybe Markus would like to read about the fragments and the other contents of Grandfather Gottfried's trunk; he won't be disappointed.

Pete.

Fattyowls

Hi Markus, I hope today went well for you.

Pete.

Jaeger6
21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

If you happen to be on Zandvoordestraat coming out of Geluveld there is a panoramic view looking towards Zandvoorde and I think the Messines ridge to the right. It is just after the first bend you come to.

Hi Pete,

just coming back from the moving ceremony and the Last Post, I found your messages. I think I know the view you describe, it should be on my usual way to the hotel. Since I came the first to Ypres I have always stayed at the Kasteelhof t'Hooge. When I came here for the first time I had no information about family members who fought in the Great War. Then I learned that there was really someone - Ernst Komander - and with his Regimentsgeschichte I suddenly realized that he fought not more than two miles away from the hotel I was staying. It was an eerie feeling.

Tomorrow I want to take my bike and explore the area around Geluveld to see where the camps Klein-Württemberg-Lager and Herzog-Albrecht-Lager were situated. So I should have the chance to take a few pictures, as well as those from the B&B Ste M requested, it's just around the corner.

Markus

Fattyowls

That's great Markus, thank you. I know exactly what you mean about being close to an area where a relative or someone you have an interest in fought; it is a very special feeling. I think exploring by bike is a really good idea, I've never done it myself but friends have and they recommend it highly.

Pete.

P.S. Just out of interest was there a big crowd at the Last Post? When I was last there in 2014 we couldn't get anywhere close.

Jaeger6

Yes, it was quite crowded. In the last five years I have attended about 15 times, mostly in summer, but my subjective view is that I have not seen it that full outside the date of great commemorations. Many school classes attended, and the official programme for today listed ten schools, two other groups and members of the parliament of New Zealand as groups who laid down wreaths.

Edited by Jaeger6

Fattyowls

Interesting that the New Zealand delegation laid wreaths at the Gate; I think I'm correct in saying there are no Kiwi missing remembered there. I am sure that they will also make a trip out to Tyne Cot and visit the New Zealand Apse where their missing are named. Two of my NZ footballers are among them, but the part of the battlefield most associated with the Kiwis is to the north of Tyne Cot from S'Gravenstafel up the Bellvue ridge to Passchendaele. I am envious of you being able to bike around the salient; it's too long since I was last there. I hope the weather is good for you tomorrow.

Pete.

AOK4
8 hours ago, Jaeger6 said:

Hi Pete,

just coming back from the moving ceremony and the Last Post, I found your messages. I think I know the view you describe, it should be on my usual way to the hotel. Since I came the first to Ypres I have always stayed at the Kasteelhof t'Hooge. When I came here for the first time I had no information about family members who fought in the Great War. Then I learned that there was really someone - Ernst Komander - and with his Regimentsgeschichte I suddenly realized that he fought not more than two miles away from the hotel I was staying. It was an eerie feeling.

Tomorrow I want to take my bike and explore the area around Geluveld to see where the camps Klein-Württemberg-Lager and Herzog-Albrecht-Lager were situated. So I should have the chance to take a few pictures, as well as those from the B&B Ste M requested, it's just around the corner.

Markus

There's unfortunately nothing anymore where the two camps were near Deimlingseck - Kruiseke, just fields.

steandpaula
13 hours ago, Jaeger6 said:

Hi Pete,

Markus

Cheers Markus, have a great trip.

Ste