Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Cap Badge

Helen91

Hi is anyone able to work out the cap badge on this photo. It is of my great grandfather who served in WW1. I am also trying to work out what the shoulder brass says well.

John Francis_Fotor edit.jpg

• Admin

Could be the Finsbury Rifles? 11th London.   He is a territorial, denoted by the T on his shoulder titles, anything on the back? 

Can you give us name and as much information as you have about him please? 

Michelle

good morning,

this soldier belongs to a London battalion.
the heading badge that would stick with the shoulder title would be the :
16th Queen's Westminster Rifles

regards

Michel

As Michelle says, he is 11th (County of London) Battalion the London Regiment (Finsbury Rifles).  The shoulder title is clearly discernible.  The battalion had been a Volunteer Battalion (VB) of the King’s Royal Rifle Corps between 1881 and 1908 and retained some visual connection through it’s similar cap badge, complete with scarlet felt backing that is visible in subject photograph.  See link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/friendsofim.com/2017/05/03/the-finsbury-rifles-our-local-regiment/amp/

A907F30F-E571-45E2-9CDB-1E4E8B6466C3.jpeg

0E6EDE88-DE78-4B0C-B633-47D046390BCB.jpeg

AD23754A-5C53-41E3-BDEB-72C462896C93.jpeg

07E9DD31-599D-4E13-BB73-70EE4D0C9493.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Helen91,

I know that there are people on this forum who a lot more skilled than me at this sort of thing, but I thought that I'd attempt to tidy the photo up a little bit. I hope that you don't mind?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Edited.jpg

Nice work Kev, looks like the original was cut out and placed in perhaps a locket or some other keepsake

J

jay dubaya,

Thank you. I thought the same - the circular cut of the face looks like it was meant for some sort of locket. It's nice that the rest of the photo was kept and not thrown away.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane 

The original looks to have been cut into three portions to remove the face and it's just that small portion that has torn away and is probably still hiding somewhere, but like I say Kev you've done a grand job. For what it's worth I am the custodian of the family photographs and the 'handbag' which contains many cut out photos and what is left of cut out photos, there is some superstition regarding throwing photographs of people away perhaps even if the subjects face had been removed to a keepsake....there appears to have been in our house anyway.

J

Yes, nice job on the photograph. My great-grandfather went through the War with a cut-out of his wife's head from a group photo, which was then carefully reunited with the rest of the photo when he got home. I always found that rather touching, as they weren't a young couple (they had two sons serving).

Pat

19 hours ago, kloughnane said:

Helen91,

I know that there are people on this forum who a lot more skilled than me at this sort of thing, but I thought that I'd attempt to tidy the photo up a little bit. I hope that you don't mind?

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

Edited.jpg

Thank you! That looks great!

Yes i got told my great grandmother cut his face out and kept it in a locket when he went to war :) x

19 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

Nice work Kev, looks like the original was cut out and placed in perhaps a locket or some other keepsake

J

Hey yes it was kept in my great grandmothers locket x

19 hours ago, kloughnane said:

jay dubaya,

Thank you. I thought the same - the circular cut of the face looks like it was meant for some sort of locket. It's nice that the rest of the photo was kept and not thrown away.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane 

Im pleased we get to see the full photo rather than just a face. As so many photos used to get thrown away after they were put in lockets or frames.

On 04/10/2019 at 16:00, Michelle Young said:

Could be the Finsbury Rifles? 11th London.   He is a territorial, denoted by the T on his shoulder titles, anything on the back? 

Can you give us name and as much information as you have about him please? 

Michelle

Hi Michelle

He is called John (Jack) Frederick Francis
Born 11th October 1897

1920 He married Ethel Kidd in St Pancras London

They had 5 children between 1921 and 1937.

1939 He was a Bakers Round Foreman in Hendon and living at 66 Orange Hill Road  Hendon.

He died 29th November 1974.

Military Histroy wise i dont have a clue just the photo.

Helen x

• 4 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, kloughnane said:

Helen,

I hope that you don't mind but I have added a little colour to the photograph.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

I hope you don't mind me giving it a crack

What software do you use?

Editedb.jpg

Jools,

As always your results are a lot better than mine!! I am using an old version of Photoshop - a programme that I have used for years to 'tart up' my own photographs. But having seen what you (and others on this forum) have managed to achieve with repairing/restoring old photographs I decided to give it a go myself. The biggest problem I have at the moment is achieving realistic skin tones - I suppose that practice makes perfect?

Regards,

Kev LOughnane

I have a folder on my desktop full of colour references which I use to match the colours correctly and the one I use for skin is one of my first colourisations where I got the skin right for the first time and it's served me well!

What tool do you use for applying the colour?

I tend to use the brush tool. I colour in on a separate layer and then reduce the opacity so that the details show through. I shall have to work on the skin tones as too many of mine are starting to look like mannequins!!

• 2 weeks later...