Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal winner Alexander Radcliffe

Sgt Stripes

Hello. By chance can anyone supply me with any information on Sgt 16731 Alexander Radcliffe , 11 Worcestershire Regiment. I have him aged 19 living in Huncoat Nr Accrington on the 1911 census but can not find anything earlier on him except married 1910 also I have him as being awarded the MM and as he served in the 11 Worcestershire Regiment it must have been for Salonika. I have his MIC and medal roll but I have found no service papers . Any information on him or how he earned his MM would be very useful. Sadly I only have Ancestry at the moment and there is very little information concerning him   Many Thanks    

Find my Past has info which may help you...

First name(s) A
Last name Radcliffe
Year 1918
Service number 16731
Rank Corporal
Regiment Worcestershire Regiment
Regiment as transcribed 11th Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment
Force British Expeditionary Force
Gazetteer date 14.01.1918
Gazette date 14 Jan 1918
Medal type Military Medal, 1914-1920
Registration paper 68/121/372
Theatre of war Salonica
Archive
The National Archives
Reference WO 372/23/156977

George

and Forces War Record has this

First Name:
A
Surname:
Radcliffe
Resided Town:
Huncoat
Corporal
Rank (2nd):
A./Sjt.
Service Number:
Gazette Info:
Gazette issue 30476. Military Medal. His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Military Medal for bravery in the Field.
Gazette Date:
11/01/1918
Gazette Page:
Service:
British Army

George

His MM was in the supplement to the London Gazette 11th January 1918, as usual without a citation:

1213259989_ScreenShot2019-10-04at15_41_33.png.4b79571afa54ae977d68532635976a88.png

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30476/supplement/841

This page for the 11ths in Macedonia in 1917 mentions two other ranks awarded the MC late 1917 by name, but neither are Alexander Radcliffe.

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/h_macedonia_1917

For knowledgeable colleagues does the medal roll show reduced twice by Courts Martial?

George

He is mentioned as a footnote in Stacke's peerless regimental history. MM was awarded for his actions at the 1917 Battle of Doiran. Specifically from the text for actions during the attack made 23-25th April 1917 by the 26th Division

The relevant paragraph reads

"Througout the battle the devoted Medical Officer ...Capt J P Lusk RAMC worked along the parapet of the captured trench. As fully exposed as any of the fighting troops he tended the wounded where they fell. Among other brave men he stood out, in the opinion of all ranks, by virtue of his utter disregard of personal danger under that terrific fire. By a miracle he survived unhurt (c) and continued his work of mercy to the end, assisted by a devoted stretcher bearer, Private W. Keyte (d)"

c - Capt JP Lusk was awarded the MC

d - Pte Keyte and Corpl Radcliffe were awarded the MM

Other MMs and a DCM action are described and noted in footnotes a + b.

edited - see later posts for Radcliffe

Edited by Mark1959

This online history gives a different account of how he won the MM:

All along the line to their right the attack had failed. The survivors of the other attacking battalions to the right of the 11th Worcestershire (away to the left the 22nd Division had gained ground, but their inner flank was half a mile from the� 0.6.� spur and could give no support) had already fallen back across the Ravine.  The order to retire was passed down the line, and, squad after squad, the remnant of the 11th Worcestershire fell back down the slope. Among the last to leave was Corporal A. Radcliffe who, on his own initiative, mounted a Lewis-gun on the parapet of the trench and covered the retreat of his comrades by bursts of rapid fire. Corpl. Radcliffe was awarded the M.M.

http://www.worcestershireregiment.com/wr.php?main=inc/h_macedonia_1917

Should have looked closer. The footnotes have been edited into the on-line text. There are 2 refs to footnote d. The text that travers61 refers to is in my printed copy and his version is why he got his MM. Have amended my previous post but not removed it as may be of interest. My apologies,

Truly fantastic information. I can only say thank you all very much . My day has finally got better.