Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Cameronians, June 1916-Primary sources?

I suspect that-while the Union still exists-there may be a fellow GWF member in North Britain  who has info. on this. I have a local casualty, a Londoner born and bred who ended up with 1CSR after the disbanding of cyclists companies. He was badly wounded in the Cameronians trench raid of 4th June 1916 -lost his right eye- and died on 16th June. It looks like the raid was fairly well regarded as successful and a sort of role model for such things but any first-hand account of 1 CSR or this raid would be welcome.

51 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

I suspect that-while the Union still exists-there may be a fellow GWF member in North Britain  who has info. on this. I have a local casualty, a Londoner born and bred who ended up with 1CSR after the disbanding of cyclists companies. He was badly wounded in the Cameronians trench raid of 4th June 1916 -lost his right eye- and died on 16th June. It looks like the raid was fairly well regarded as successful and a sort of role model for such things but any first-hand account of 1 CSR or this raid would be welcome.

See attached...

1st Bn SRs War Diary p072 of 307 - 1916 Jun 03 to 04.jpg

1st Bn SRs War Diary p073 of 307 - 1916 Jun 04 to 05.jpg

Thanks Tom- I have WD- My man is Needham.  I have the rather scarce history of the Cameronians for the war years booked for Saturday at BL but this looks like there should be some other accounts of it- esp. the officers concerned. My knoweldge of the Cameronians is extremely limited- to one argument at a pub quiz I ran- how many regiments are named after those not Royals (D of Wellington, Green Howard-but also Cameronians).  Thank you for the help- Scottish military history can be something of a blank to us English. :wub:

Please allow me to remind you that the WD available is a "Certified True Copy". Therefore the original is gone.

Have you tried the Brigade, etc., level WDs?

1st Bn SRs War Diary p070 of 307 - 1916 Jun - Letter of Certified Copy.jpg

The 33rd Div, 19th Bde WD is available on ancestry (spit...)...

Nothing of note on that date.

May I suggest that you contact Barrie Duncan, a GWF member.

He is the 'local' expert on all things Cameronians, and is a volunteer at the Cameronians Museum in Hamilton.

http://www.cameronians.org/museum/

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

The 33rd Division Diary mentions it and if you can find App AD (I can't) there should be a report on the raid. Click

Mike

Edited by Skipman

10 hours ago, Tom Lang said:

May I suggest that you contact Barrie Duncan, a GWF member.

He is the 'local' expert on all things Cameronians, and is a volunteer at the Cameronians Museum in Hamilton.

http://www.cameronians.org/museum/

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

Thank you Tom-I shall do.  I have several casualties killed in trench raids but this one seems well covered- the WD suggests that there should be more-as Mike says below. My point on this is to give some sense of individuality to each of my local casualties- and if there is a story to be told about how they met their ends, then that is a way lot better than just a long list of "KIA" with dates.  The leader of the raid, Captain David Evans was himself killed in action on 20th July 1916-I am not sure for what he won his MC as yet. It may just tell a bit more about Needham-esp. the  Divisional Diary that Mike mentions having an Appendix.  The clue to their being-possibly-a bit more is that the Cameronians WD is unusual in mentioning OR casualties by name.

4 hours ago, Skipman said:

The 33rd Division Diary mentions it and if you can find App AD (I can't) there should be a report on the raid. Click

Mike

Thanks Mike-  Phew!! You had me very worried there- You mentioned "App"-For one dreadful moment a techno-cretin like me thought you meant the accursed things found on mobile phones (whatever they are)

8 hours ago, Skipman said:

Mike

See attached page 267 of 820.

XI Corps WD 1916 06 04 - Appendix AD - p267 of 820.jpg

... and page 250 of 820.

XI Corps WD 1916 06 04 - Appendix AD - p250 of 820.jpg

Fantastic- I am becoming a fan of divisional diaries- I thought they merely recorded the contents of a Major-General's drinks cabinet. Now I know better. Thank you Tom for your interest and attention to this.

5 hours ago, Skipman said:

Well found Tom Lang, not sure how I missed that. It was early, that's my excuse.

Mike

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah..., Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...