Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Scottish POWs

Steven Broomfield

Quick question: is there any way of finding out how many men of the London Scottish (14th London) became prisoners at Messines on 31st October/1st November 1914?

(I have asked the regimental archivist and am awaiting his response)

Ta

The diary gives as casualties other ranks 14 killed, 122 wounded, 22 wounded & missing and 163 missing a total of 321

Then ammended 6/11/1914  "Fighting strength of London Scottish before going into action 31 Oct/1st Nov,  26 officers 786 other ranks. Fighting strength after action 15 officers 519 other ranks. Total casualties 11 officers 267 other ranks.

Mike

Thanks. I have all those but obviously many of the missing were dead or wandering round trying to find the battalion. What I'm looking for is the actual number taken captive by the Germans. The History refers only to two officers; the archivist estimates about 40. Dead registered on the CWGC for 31st October to 5th November (out of interest) stands at 86 o.r. and one Lieutenant, plus the MO.

54 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Thanks. I have all those

Thought you might. There's an old thread Click with some names. Might be worth asking where High Wood got this short list. Checked ICRC and J Gruchy's name is there.

Mike

There is this fascinating report of some 14 pages available on FindmyPast here.

Here is the first page:  (McCallum is also on ICRC records)

GBM_POW-GALLIP_101598695_00362.jpg.b6ed1c6d0e8d98a73ff08c75512c25f9.jpg

Edited by charlie962