Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BRITISH ARMY.

steve140968

:D Can anyone please give me the order of rank in the British army , thanks .

Steve .

this is about correct but i am sure this is not how it would have been at the beginning of the war around 1915 it changed a tad. This i think has more of a modern theme to it. You also have things like lance sergeant in gaurds i think!

RQMS may be warrant officer II not one i am not to sure on this. perhaps someone can clarify this.

private/trooper/gaurdsman/fusilier/rifleman

lance corporal

corporal

sergeant

staff sergeant/colour sergeant

warrant officer II.... company qartermaster sergeant/company sergeant major

warrant officer I......regimental quartermaster sergeant/ RSM (God!)

2nf lt

lt

captain

major

lt colonel

colonel.......(usually just staff appointment)

brigadier-general (1921 i think just brigadier)

major general

lt general

general

feild marshall

hope this helps but you may need to clarify with better experts than me!!

regards

Arm.

;) Thanks Arm , this will be a great help . Steve .

Throws up another question. I've always been a little puzzled by Martin Middlebrook's definition of ranks and responsibilities in 'First Day ...'

In it he gives a 'flow chart' running from 'the top' to the front line.

The relevant section is:-

Company commander (captain)

Platoon Commander (2nd Lt.)

Section Commander (corp.)

The soldier.

Thus the Sergeant does not fall into this line. Is there a good role definition for a sergeant in an inf. platoon/company?

I've always assumed that the 2nd Lt. would delegate to the Sgts. who would delegate in turn to the corporals?

Not knocking Martin Middlebrook .. just a little piece of the book which has always puzzled me.

Des

Throws up another question. I've always been a little puzzled by Martin Middlebrook's definition of ranks and responsibilities in 'First Day ...'

In it he gives a 'flow chart' running from 'the top' to the front line.

The relevant section is:-

Company commander (captain)

Platoon Commander (2nd Lt.)

Section Commander (corp.)

The soldier.

Thus the Sergeant does not fall into this line. Is there a good role definition for a sergeant in an inf. platoon/company?

I've always assumed that the 2nd Lt. would delegate to the Sgts. who would delegate in turn to the corporals?

Not knocking Martin Middlebrook .. just a little piece of the book which has always puzzled me.

Des

Des,

Actual platoon commander :lol:

regards

Arm

Des

I've found the niceties of the grades of serjeants baffling too, I found this in Tommy by John Laffin

“A company or regimental sergeant-major is much more than a dominant parade ground figure; he has extraordinary authority and influence. To the men of an infantry company the CSM sits on the right hand of God -'God himself being the RSM. Having been a private soldier himself the sergeant-major knows every trick of the trade, he knows the soldier psychologically, he knows how far he can stretch mentally and physically. When the OC of the company wants information or advice, he naturally consults the CSM. If a soldier has a problem he will take it to his own section commander or platoon sergeant who will, in turn, take it to the CSM - if the CSM has the reputation a CSM should have. The CSM can awe junior subalterns only just a little less than the RSM awes them. He can make life a lot easier for a new officer; conversely, he can make it much harder, merely by denying the officer his co-operation. Platoon commanders-leaned heavily on their sergeants, company commanders on the company sergeant-major and the CO on the regimental sergeant-major.”

All the best

Fred

You also have things like lance sergeant in gaurds i think!

Not just in the Guards, my GG Uncle was a Lance Serjeant in the Connuaght Rangers, before his FCM when he was busted down to private.

;) Joe ,

thankyou very much , makes interesting reading .

Steve .

I do believe that there was an appointment/rank of 'Corporal of the Horse' who was actually a Sergeant Major.

Can anyone confirm this?

Two things. The Sergeant is actually 'the Platoon Sergeant' and effectively Platoon second in command - senior soldier - to the 2/Lt or Lt.

The Household Cavalry used/use the form 'Corporal of Horse' and 'Squadron Corporal Major' 'Squadron Quartermaster Corporal of Horse' 'Regimental Corporal Major' etc etc as 'Sergeant' is derived from a form of 'servant' - and the HC were gentlemen (of a kind, note small 'g' ) and the term Sergeant was incompatible.

As explained to me by a PSI (Permanent Staff Instructor), Life Guards, to my TA Yeomanry Squadron in the early 1980s.

By the way - there were NO 'Guardsmen' in WW1; it was a post-war innovation. They were Privates like everyone else during the war.

By the way - there were NO 'Guardsmen' in WW1; it was a post-war innovation. They were Privates like everyone else during the war.

Now that I did not know, another peice of information learnt today.

regards

Arm.

Ps Eddie, the Devils Own were always a law unto themselves :lol:

He was Court Martialled for "Disobeying in such a manner a lawful command given personally by his superior officer" I tried to find the full details of this in the NA but it's not listed. I'd love to have been a fly on the (trench) wall !!!!

By the way - there were NO 'Guardsmen'  in WW1; it was a post-war innovation. They were Privates like everyone else during the war.

Now that I did not know, another peice of information learnt today.

regards

Arm.

The title Guardsman was approved & authorised by King George V on 22 Nov 1918 in recognition of the service rendered by the Guards Div in the Great War

All The Best

Chris

Can anyone confirm that there was a rank/appointment of Pioneer Sergeant in the Great War? I know that they existed in the Boer War.

I was also told that they carry an axe and are the only soldier allowed to have a beard.

SEAN

Can anyone confirm that there was a rank/appointment of Pioneer Sergeant in the Great War? I know that they existed in the Boer War.

I was also told that they carry an axe and are the only soldier allowed to have a beard.

SEAN

Sean

the appointment still exsists today in Infantry Bns of the British Army

All The Best

Chris