Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where did he serve?

MaxD

43343_806_0-00103.jpg.d56ea2b7ba17db33fc88eabf4445c857.jpgIf I am reading the attached record correctly, at the periods indicated by the dates, the vessels following Pembroke 1 (I know what that is) were all depot ships at Scapa Flow.

I don't know what the annotation which appears to apply to Royal Arthur, Zaria and Victorious means (something "on").  The man concerned was awarded to BW and V medals.  Again if I am reading earlier advice here, the Victory medal  indicates he served at sea.

Basic query is did he serve throughout at Scapa Flow in the 3 vessels listed or did he go to sea in something for which each of them was a depot ship?

As a pongo, slightly out of my depth here!

Max

Edited by MaxD
File

Is the Victorious entry "Shore on Demobn" ie a shore posting pending demobilisation?

I have read the post again more carefully - the question relates to the (? on) after Zaria and Victorious.

Jim

Edited by JimE

Terrible handwriting but, noting that all three depot ships were parenting boats of the Auxiliary Patrol, I believe the boat in question is the hired Inverness drifter (employed as a net vessel) HMS TRUST ON (Admiralty No.2007). She was based on HMS ROYAL ARTHUR from 9/11/1915 to 10/3/1918 when she was handed over to HMS ZARIA. This matches the dates in his record. ZARIA was relieved by HMS VICTORIOUS on 15/2/1919 accoring to Warlow's "Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy".