Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Disability Codes

I've got a burnt image of the WWI record of my great grandfather.

On it he is listed as rank for pension V (roman numerals) and nature of disability code 42. The actual written disability on the record is illegible due to burning.

Any help on what the V and the 42 equate to is much appreciated.

Not sure about 'RANK V', could be that V was the injury type.

As to 42, there was a topic on these disability codes, so a slight chance 42 is mentioned there.

Alternatively, find my past have some field ambulance, CCS & hospital admissions books. Some of these were annotated post war by Medical Research Committee; Statistical Dept. with the disability codes. Again there's another topic on forum for that.

On phone at work at present so I can't help with links etc. Try a forum search for 'disability code'.

TEW

Not got my notes to hand but WW1 pensions were ranked using Roman Numerals - a Class V pension would be for a Private. I'd put a punt on it being the class V pension and then the 42 being a code for the actual disability.

Craig

Interesting question. I've just searched for "disability code" and "pension rank" on the Forum and nothing showed up. People have asked about "disability code" before but there seems to have beem little to no definitive response. "Pension rank" came up blank.

For MOP purposes

image.png
MoP guidance - other departments may have used different codes.

"Pension rank" came up blank.

it's not been something of particular interest. Technically it's 'Class' of pension but I have seen rank used.

image.png

Craig

Craig, your Appendix E list looks interesting as I'm sure 43 is the debility Disability Code used in WO364 records and sometimes annotated to MH106 Field Ambulance, CCS etc admission books. However, I've also got Neurasthenia as Code 143 rather than the 35 in Appendix E.

One example of the annotations from MH106/1722 is attached, this shows Influenza as Code 21, not sure that flu is a enteric group disease? Do you have the next page of Appendix E that shows Codes 61 & 86?

MH106-1772.jpg.feda98423329f88999a6f9a1154cc68e.jpg

T1234.

Perhaps the disability (or disease) is given on another sheet as well, perhaps without the code? Failing that I suspect the disability will be given on a WFA pension form. Interesting if it is an ear problem.

TEW

Craig your Appendix E list looks interesting as I'm sure 43 is the debility Disability Code used in WO364 records and sometimes annotated to MH106 Field Ambulance, CCS etc admission books. However, I've also got Neurasthenia as Code 143 rather than the 35 in Appendix E.

These are the codes used by the MoP in 1920 based on the an instruction issued in May 1919.
image.png

The codes only go to 47 and then 48 as a miscellaneous.

I think the codes in red may have included additional categories used for the medical statistics purposes. The original admission codes, as recorded by the hospitals, is shown here

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record/browse?id=s2%2fgbm%2fmh106%2fmh106-1515%2f0002

Craig

11 hours ago, T1234 said:

I've got a burnt image of the WWI record of my great grandfather.

On it he is listed as rank for pension V (roman numerals) and nature of disability code 42. The actual written disability on the record is illegible due to burning.

Any help on what the V and the 42 equate to is much appreciated.

What is his name and service number ?

Craig

The codes in red in my example which are Roman numerals for injury type plus a disability code were I'm sure were added by the MRC circa 1921. I'm certain the same numbers EG 61 can be found in WO 364 records during the war period.

TEW

• spof changed the title to Disability Codes