Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In-storage war memorials

mancpal

Tonights Manchester Evening News has an article that relates to stored war memorials and the possibility of placing them in schools relevant to the locality of those remembered upon.

I don't see any harm in this but it begs the question how many stored memorials are there nationally? Where and how are they stored and who is accountable for their preservation or equally possible their disposal?

Simon

Hi Simon,

I think the War Memorials Trust would be interested in this; they have quite a few Manchester memorials listed on their website as missing. Did they give any details such as where they are currently stored and who is responsible for them?

I have a memorial from a boys' school which no longer exists. I thought about having it displayed at the local high school, until I discovered that that school's war memorial was 'under the stage, somewhere'. 

There is a Leicester/Leicestershire/Rutland  'At Risk War Memorials' project.  Aims to rescue those at risk, repair/restore and return/relocate where possible. Those which cannot are stored and are available to see on public viewing days. I believe (but don't quote me on it) that the guys who were instrumental in this had previous involvement with the War Memorials Trust.

https://www.atriskwarmemorials.co.uk/

Margaret

I checked the Memorial at the Stagecoach depot on Hyde road and according to the War Memorials Trust website it was mounted on the wall of the building in 2017. I checked on Google street view and it can be seen. So unless it has been subsequently removed, then the article is inaccurate. If I have time I will try and get to Hyde road and see if it is still there.

Just been to the Stagecoach depot on Hyde Road Manchester and can confirm that the memorial is in good condition and still in situ on the wall by the main entrance. I will update War Memorials online when I get home.