Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wings - Time out of War TV series

Moonraker

I've done a quick check and can't find any previous reference to this 1977-78 TV series here on the GWF:

Wings - Time out of War

In fact I can't recall ever having heard of it, but I didn't have a TV set when the series was originally screened.

Available on YouTube - here's the

first episode

A quick glance is promising - I'll be watching it once I've concluded watching "Colditz".

Moonraker

It’s been mentioned before somewhere on the forum, The series sparked my interest in The First World War, prompted me to ask older relatives about our families involvement, finding a Great Grandad buried on The Somme and more recently, following the release of records finding my Grandad joining the RAF in April 1918 as a tinsmith.....which lead to him being a chief aircraft inspector in the next war, can’t comment on the authenticity of uniforms etc but fond memories of the programme !

I remember the series well, and enjoyed it very much.  It all seemed pretty authentic, apart from one episode in the second series (no spoilers here) that did cause me to think "What the....?"  That apart it was very good, and, I find, available for just £10.99 for the boxed set from those nice people at Amazon.  I may just have to buy it!

I'm surprised that this series evidently hasn't been discussed on the forum before, as I bought the boxed set some years ago on the recommendation of another forum member.  I binge-watched it over four successive days, 6 hours a day, and became so immersed in it that I switched off critical faculties and simply enjoyed it.  I remember that it was annoying in parts, and that the title music became particularly irksome after 24 iterations, but overall I thought it was very good for its time.  It helped, as I recall, that I had recently bought a 40" flat screen HD TV.  The interior scenes are very stagey, but no harm in that and it reminded me of the Onedin Line, which had a similar combination of theatrical interiors and spectacular exterior footage.  If the Rugby World Cup wasn't on at the moment, I might well watch it again! 

I really enjoyed watching the series in the seventies . Although i was only a teenager when it was shown i did write to the B.B.C to point out that the

British soldiers didn't wear steel helmets during the early months of the war . I did watch an episode on YouTube recently , the one where he lands

a female spy behind enemy lines , gets captured , the female gets shot on the orders of a German officer who then leaves in a staff car . The airman

then manages to escape , cross the lines on foot and reach his airfield , he jumps into a plane flies back and locates the staff car which he machine

guns . A bit far fetched :whistle: but still a million times better than the new B.B.C war drama , which just seems to be a big box ticking exercise .

14 hours ago, Moonraker said:

I've done a quick check and can't find any previous reference to this 1977-78 TV series here on the GWF.

I've now used slightly different search terms and found at least two previous threads. I'm reassured that the member who started the second one wrote:  'I have tried, using the forum's search engine, to find a posting about the 1970s TV series, "Wings", but with no success.'

Here's one thread

and this is the other.

So I'll close this thread.

Moonraker

• DavidOwen locked this topic