Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

World War One hymn "Jerusalem" is nation's favourite

Moonraker

I confess to having scoffed when this came up on BBC's Teletext last night.  But checking the

BBC website

I learn that Sir Charles Hubert Hastings Parry took the 1803 poem by William Blake and wrote the hymn in 1916 to rally the public and drive wartime resolve.

Moonraker

Indeed, I think came out of the "Fight for Right" movement, founded by Francis Younghusband (of Central Asia and Tibet fame).

I suppose it depends what you mean by "The Nation".

If you mean "Viewers of BBC One's Songs of Praise", then I wouldn't argue.

But there are different and better criteria.

And different and much better hymns, most of them (in my totally unbiased opinion) Welsh.

Rachie (I Bob Un Sydd Ffyddlon) is , an interesting one in that it was written during the Great War, and has the theme  a call to the faithful , marching under His flag, in the forces of good against the forces of evil in the 'great war'.

Although it wasn't published until 1918, I don't suppose it had much effect on recruitment at the time, but it has subsequently become recognisable as  an anthem for good against bad.

2 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

Whether it is even a hymn is a debatable point.

Is it in Hymns A and M?  - I just sing whatever I am told.  I was fairly sure that the "Internationale" sung at Tony Benn's funeral was not A and M but Jerusalem???????:wub:

There are many hymn books other than A&M, in CofE churches.  Some have Jerusalem, others not.  Same for ‘I vow to thee...’.

many now prefer so-called songs.

D

44 minutes ago, daggers said:

There are many hymn books other than A&M, in CofE churches.  Some have Jerusalem, others not.  Same for ‘I vow to thee...’.

many now prefer so-called songs.

D

Thanks Richard.  Yes-I have just helped a friend who is recently divorced,even though over 70-had to re-write his will. He shared with me his funeral directions- including the choice of music being Charles Penrose "The Laughing Policeman" :wub:. Pretty sure that is not in A and M!!  

On a slightly related theme, I bought not so long ago the HMSO publication done just after the end of the war with "suitable" quotations from Antiquity,Classics,Great Authors,etc- chosen by a group of the G and the G.  It could win a Nobel Prize for unctiousness and patronising outlook.

It all fits in with a longer term interest of mine (see left)on HOW memorialisation of the Great War has taken place, whether it is inherent in human nature or whether it has been "managed" across the decades.

When it comes to hymns, then the illustration given by the late Tony Benn is a good one-his grandfather ,John Benn (of the Progressive Movement) was a noted temperance advocate but never realised the double-entendre in the temperance hymn that Tony Benn and his siblings had to sing with him at High Tea on a Sunday afternoon-with the line "The good ship temperance is heading for the port..."

Is it in Hymns A and M?  - I just sing whatever I am told.  I was fairly sure that the "Internationale" sung at Tony Benn's funeral was not A and M but Jerusalem???????:wub:

Yes I know it is in A&M along with others of dubious theology. Jerusalem is as I understand it a rant against the Industrialisation of England and the ruination of a once beautiful land. I have just sung The Day thou Gavest Lord is Ended, at a funeral. This was originally a hymn of Empire, read the words with that thought in your mind and you will see what I mean. It is however like Jerusalem, beautiful in many ways. 

These things have a context and  take on a life of their own and are perceived in the ears of the listener. 

Keith,

Agree with you re. the dodgy theology - I have a feeling that it found its way into the Hymns A&M revision in the early 1950s??  If it weren't for Parry's glorious music the piece would be much more obscure than it became.  

As an occasional verger for funerals a few years ago we had Gracie Fields with ‘Wish me luck...’ at one, and a few weeks later the Titanic theme/song.

sorry, off topic, one WW2, the other pre WW1.

D

Well there is the classic apocryphal tale, a reason for which I refuse under any conditions to be the person that plays the recorded music at any funeral or wedding.

It was a funeral and the deceased had requested “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from the Wizard of Oz. The person in charge of the CD player or whatever, pressed the wrong button and out blared “Hey Ho the Witch is Dead” also from the Wizard of Oz. Moral of the tale, never ever press that button!  

10 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

It was a funeral and the deceased had requested “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from the Wizard of Oz. The person in charge of the CD player or whatever, pressed the wrong button and out blared “Hey Ho the Witch is Dead” also from the Wizard of Oz. Moral of the tale, never ever press that button!  

Murphy's law in action.