Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Goverments sponsored visits of Relatives to WWi War Graves

Bob Davies 102

Hi, The photograph on the back of the latest Western Front Magazine,shows relatives visiting Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery 25th March 1923. I understand that the visits were paid for by the government to help people who could not afford to pay for themselves to visit their loved ones. Can anyone tell if there are any lists of the people who took part in these visits available, or could there be ships manifests available somewhere ?.

I would be pleased if someone could help.

Regards 

Bob Davies

I think a booklet given out to relatives on the trips appeared on the forum recently, can't remember the thread title though.  Good luck with your search.

I have a book The Pilgrim’s Guide to the Ypres Salient published by Talbot House in 1920. There is a lot of information about travel and accomodation, costs etc. I don't recollect any information about costs being met, but I will have a look through it to check later. Incidentally it makes fascinating reading.  

Well there is nothing about government funding in the book, however there is a scheme run by the YMCA. It reads:

The YMCA hostel opposite the station has 20 bedrooms and makes special provision for relatives visiting graves. A scheme is in operation by which, at a cost of £5 10s inclusive, tickets are issued covering the double journey from London, and three days in the Hostel at Ypres. Guides to the cemeteries are provided and cars can also be hired. Besides those holding inclusive tickets, a few guests can be taken in at 12/6 per day. 

There is a note that the Church Army is considering a similar scheme. (Enquirers are directed to a Mr Screech (!) Church Hut, near the prison Ypres).

Individual costs of transport are quoted using the boat train from Victoria to Ypres as 

1st Class £2/7/8 - 2nd Class £1/17/1 and 3rd Class £1/2/11 for a one way ticket. Return is simply double. 

I have no idea what average earnings were but from information such as army pensions awarded to widows these costs would seem well out of reach to the average widow.  

I haven't found any evidence that the British government sponsored trips for bereaved relations who were poor to visit Great War graves.

However, various organisations provided assistance - see pages 35 and 36:

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Battlefield_Tourism.html?id=ZVXwAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

JP 

On 30/09/2019 at 17:16, keithfazzani said:

Well there is nothing about government funding in the book, however there is a scheme run by the YMCA. It reads:

The YMCA hostel opposite the station has 20 bedrooms and makes special provision for relatives visiting graves. A scheme is in operation by which, at a cost of £5 10s inclusive, tickets are issued covering the double journey from London, and three days in the Hostel at Ypres. Guides to the cemeteries are provided and cars can also be hired. Besides those holding inclusive tickets, a few guests can be taken in at 12/6 per day. 

There is a note that the Church Army is considering a similar scheme. (Enquirers are directed to a Mr Screech (!) Church Hut, near the prison Ypres).

Individual costs of transport are quoted using the boat train from Victoria to Ypres as 

1st Class £2/7/8 - 2nd Class £1/17/1 and 3rd Class £1/2/11 for a one way ticket. Return is simply double. 

I have no idea what average earnings were but from information such as army pensions awarded to widows these costs would seem well out of reach to the average widow.  

Hi Kieth, Apologies for delay in replying, your info is very interesting and many thanks for taking the trouble to search it out for me. I agree with you the costs involved would be beyond many of the working class relatives.

Best Wishes 

Bob