Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reverend John Coffey Chaplain to the Forces

Margaretnolan

I am trying to find information please on the above Reverend John Coffey. He is listed on a Roll of Men of Castledermot and District as Rev. John Coffey (sometime Catholic Curate at Castledermot) .......C.F.

Castledermot is in County Kildare, Ireland!

I can’t locate anything on him..medal card etc. 

Thank you

Margaret

Edited by Margaretnolan

You could try contacting the Museum of Army Chaplaincy at Amport House.

Once upon a time the online archives of The Tablet were free and informative, but alas no more.

52 minutes ago, Margaretnolan said:

am trying to find information please on the above Reverend John Coffey. He is listed on a Roll of Men of Castledermot and District as Rev. John Coffey (sometime Catholic Curate at Castledermot) .......C.F.

I tried a monthly Army List from 1915 and the one for November 1918 in the hope of trying to identify him, but struck a blank as far as letting the computer do the searching for him was concerned.

Working back I then tried January 1917 - and came up with a J. Coffey, a Roman Catholic Temporary Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class with a seniority of the 17th April 1916.

But the relevant London Gazette entry for that man joinining the Army shows him as James Coffey.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29595/supplement/5180/data.pdf

I still could not find any Medal Index Card for James or John - but them he simply may never have served in a Theatre of War.

I couldn't find any British Army Officers papers for James or John, but I'm not sure if a Chaplains' papers would be held with them.

I couldn't spot an obvious James or John on the 1911 Census in County Kildare - but I'm a real novice when it comes to using that source!

I take it there is nothing in contemporary newspaper reports for the area - recording him leaving the parish for example

Cheers,

Peter

There is a John Coffey in 1911 census in Dublin who is a Catholic Curate, born Tipperary aged 35

Him on Irish Census

And that leads to 1901 census with that man a student at Maynooth, Kildare (Catholic College for priests)

1901 census

1 hour ago, PRC said:

I tried a monthly Army List from 1915 and the one for November 1918 in the hope of trying to identify him, but struck a blank as far as letting the computer do the searching for him was concerned.

Working back I then tried January 1917 - and came up with a J. Coffey, a Roman Catholic Temporary Chaplain to the Forces 4th Class with a seniority of the 17th April 1916.

But the relevant London Gazette entry for that man joinining the Army shows him as James Coffey.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29595/supplement/5180/data.pdf

I still could not find any Medal Index Card for James or John - but them he simply may never have served in a Theatre of War.

I couldn't find any British Army Officers papers for James or John, but I'm not sure if a Chaplains' papers would be held with them.

I couldn't spot an obvious James or John on the 1911 Census in County Kildare - but I'm a real novice when it comes to using that source!

I take it there is nothing in contemporary newspaper reports for the area - recording him leaving the parish for example

Cheers,

Peter

Thank you Peter. I did have a look through the Newspapers Archives and couldn’t find anything. But I will go back and search more thoroughly. I had looked for John.  

Margaret

8 minutes ago, corisande said:

There is a John Coffey in 1911 census in Dublin who is a Catholic Curate, born Tipperary aged 35

Him on Irish Census

Thank you. I came across him.

Margaret

7 minutes ago, corisande said:

And that leads to 1901 census with that man a student at Maynooth, Kildare (Catholic College for priests)

1901 census

7 minutes ago, corisande said:

1901 census

And he’s born in Co. Tipperary. Thanks again.

Similar

1909.jpg.a05ec9a7878f85beca602a6be2b7bb9d.jpg

LG has their J Coffey resigning his commission as Chaplain on 26 May 1918 - LG Entry

Then oddly  on 20 Feb 1919 there is the appointment of a J Coffey as 4th class Chaplain - LG Entry

• 9 months later...

Thank you so much guys. This is a hard nut to crack - I cant win them all but I have  a much clearer picture than before I posted here.

As always,

Gerard