Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Corkett - 14707 - 7th Btn. Bedfordshire Regiment

HeidiS

Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone with knowledge and expertise of the Bedfordshire Regiment has a photo of 14707 Private Jospeh Corkett (Corkitt) - 7th Battalion.  He was killed on the 3rd May 1917 and is buried in Bucquoy Road Cemetery. A friend of mine has recently discovered him in her family history and I am taking her over to visit his grave next year and I would love to show her a picture of him. Even if it's blurry or a squad or battalion picture any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

Doesn't answer the question but you may wish to consider visiting the area where he almost certainly was wounded.  The Commonwealth War Graves site records his date of death on the grave registration report as 4 May 1917.  As the area near to the cemetery was used from April 1917 as the site of a main dressing station and the Soldiers' Effects Register records "died of wounds" rather than "killed in action" number it is likely that he was evacuated from the site of the battle and later succumbed to his wounds.

The attack the battalion took part in on 3 May resulted in 242 casualties in total, including 5 officers and 19 men killed, 8 and 162 wounded a number of missing and 6 men who died of wounds.  The attack took place from trenches to the west of Cherisy south westerly to enemy trenches between the village of Cherisy and Fontaine les Croisilles some 11 miles to the east of where the cemetery is located.

The attached file shows the area (courtesy Google Earth) 

This link has the trench map and image:

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.2280&lon=2.9152&layers=101465080&right=BingHyb with the objectives being on a line that runs down the map crease fro the squares marked 333 down to the one beow marked 3.

Hope a photo turns up.

Max

Screenshot (20).png