Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals & collection search

Bill Mason

I am looking to trace and purchase the following:

WW1 medals pair and scroll with collection of Pte Ernest Milburn 22/1234 Tyneside Scottish, Northumberland Fussiliers.

KIA 1/7/1916 Somme.

I am searching on behalf of his granddaughter Mrs J Wilkinson (84)

Any help in tracing this collection would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bill.

Thanks David I have already put a search on there.

The medals and collection where last sold as far as I can trace by Lockdales auction house in Ipswich Suffolk March 2018.

I have been unable to trace any further, so any help is appreciated. 

Bill

Have a word with lockdales they might be able to trace buyer and pass a message on, it's 50/50 collector or dealer, you might get lucky

One to try is put on an alert on ebay, this will notify you of any listing similar. I get them for family named medals.

13 hours ago, Bill Mason said:

Lockdales say the buyer has not responded

Bill,   It may be that the buyer is not interested in "re-selling" the medals ?  That does happen. 

Best of luck, bif

Dear Bill,

I am inclined to agree with bif.

The fact is, I for one, have numerous medal groups in my collection, which I refer to as "Keeper Groups".

I would not sell these for any amount of money…

Having said that, my collector motto is: Never Give Up!

For example I saw a group illustrated on a dealer's site, and was so disappointed that it had been sold, that I got in touch with the lucky buyer via the kind dealer. Once I had made the connection, I established my bona fides and offered to pay virtually double the price he had paid. This was accepted and I had yet another "Keeper Group".

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Edited by Kimberley John Lindsay

Thanks Bif &Kim

If I was looking for this collection for myself I may have given up by now, but I am searching on behalf of Ernests granddaughter Mrs Wilkinson (84yrs old) who would love to have the collection back within the family before she leaves this mortal coil.

Within the collection is Ernests prayer book with his hand writing in it, if I could find and return the collection to Mrs Wilkinson it would mean so much as it would be the only direct tangible connection back to her grandfather.

The collection was sold originally about 8/9 years ago to a dealer here in the Northeast, this was done against the wishes in of the previous family caretaker of them and without the knowledge of Mrs Wilkinson, 

On 30/09/2019 at 08:34, Bill Mason said:

The collection was sold originally about 8/9 years ago to a dealer here in the Northeast, this was done against the wishes in of the previous family caretaker of them and without the knowledge of Mrs Wilkinson, 

Sorry, but are these items actually recorded as having been stolen?

• 2 weeks later...

No they are not recorded as stolen, they were sold by the son of the deceased family caretaker of the collection, from we believe against the wishes of his father and other family members.

2 minutes ago, Bill Mason said:

No they are not recorded as stolen, they were sold by the son of the deceased family caretaker of the collection, from we believe against the wishes of his father and other family members.

That is unfortunate. Without a crime reference number the title will presumably rest with their current owners. Even if you do track them down you may not be in a position to buy them back as the owner may just refuse point blank to sell them. There is also another factor.  I presume (though I do not know) that you are aware that this pair and scroll will have a high market value owing to the 01/07/16 date of death?

Mike

Yes I appreciate the points,  however my priority is to be able to acquire the collection so I may give it to Ernests granddaughter Mrs Wilkinson (85yrs old), it would mean the world to her to have them back into the family she is alive.

As the eldest direct decendent of Ernest the collection was to have been passed on to her.

• 2 weeks later...

STILL LOOKING 

I am still searching for Ernest Milburn's medals and scroll plus collection, may I ask again if anyone can assist in my search.

If it helps there is a photo and more details of the collection on Harlands medals site, who sold the collection to someone in Suffolk some 8 To 9 years ago.

Thanks 

Bill 

ahh. as I thought would be the case. this was a fairly large collection.

Harlands listed it for £575  then Lockdales sold it in 2018 guide price around the same BUT fob watch and badge look to have been kept by first buyer as not listed.

have you bumped it up on the BMF as there are many requests so yours may have gone down the page.

Hi Chaz

Thanks for your reply  yes I have updated the BMF listing also.

I am hoping that they will turn up before next June as my wife and I are going over to his grave on the Somme to lay a wreath on the anniversary of his death 1st July 1916 on behalf of his granddaughter Mrs Wilkinson.

Thanks 

Bill 

Bill, being a 1st of July casualty it will command a premium on the price and collectability and the possibility that the current owner probably wouldnt want to sell again, unless an equal replacement could be found. just a thought..

On 29/09/2019 at 07:58, Bill Mason said:

Hi Chaz

Have tried that, unfortunately Lockdales say the buyer has not responded.

Just got to keep on trying.

Thanks for your reply.

Bill 

Just going back to this post, if the buyer has not responded to Lockdales I'm not sure if there is much hope of him/her responding to a similar approach from a different direction. Having said that, this bloke has a "wanted" section in his catalogues, so you may want to place an ad in that. It may reach collectors who are not members of the BMF - and a great many of them aren't.

https://www.dixonsmedals.co.uk/

I am sure that some other dealers will offer a similar service.

Regards,

Mike