Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembrance for local School(s)

Hedley Malloch

I have been asked by the local branch of the RBL to liaise with a local school and organising some type remembrance commemoration for them in the run-up to November 11. It's a junior school ie under-11. The RBL branch has done this type of event in the past when it has involved a 5-minute address to school assembly and the laying of poppy crosses on the CWGC graves in the local cemetery.

Has anyone here had experience of working with local schools on commemorative events of this sort? If so, what works and what does not? How do you explain 'remembrance' to this type of audience? All ideas and information gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

CGM,

Thank you for this link which looks very useful. 

I am interested in members' personal experiences about what works - and what does not.

I have never been involved in an observance event, but did help a secondary school with  research once about twenty odd years ago.

I think it might be useful to find out what the school itself has been doing during the centenary and general advice about how they expect the remembrance observation to fit in.

Having said that about the centenary, WW2 and subsequent wars are probably nearer to primary school pupils.

I think I would also check that there have not been family casualties in recent conflicts.

Apologies I haven't really answered your question.

RM