Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting The Salonika Battlefields, General Advice

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi all. I am just after a little general guidance about visiting the Salonika Battlefields. We are staying in Doiran and I would like to visit sites such as Horseshoe Hill/ Pip Ridge and the Devil's Eye. I have read about Greek border police being touchy about people walking the hills near the border. Could anyone advise me on the safest way to visit these sites without the hassle? A spell in Greek clink isn't on my itinerary. Many thanks in advance. 

You have just missed the Salonika Campaign Society group as we leave Doiran in the morning and head into Greece for the Armistice Commemorations  via the Struma valley.  There are knowledgeable guides, depending on your particular interests. For Pip Ridge I suggest Binko who is mentioned in the guide books. We parted with him a few hours ago.  I don't personally have contact I go.  Try a pm to SCS chair Alan Wakefield who is out here with the group.

Many thanks Keith. I had noticed that the SCS has been out there. I am going over the second week in October.

Sorry, I assumed from your post that you had already arrived