Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War diaries 2nd Battalion Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders

AlasdairW

Hello,

Anybody have any clues as to why I can only find war diaries up to late 1915 on Ancestry for 2nd A&SH?.

I cant rule out user error yet, but just can't seem to find any later accounts no matter how much I manipulate my searches.

Cheers in advance

Al

Thanks very much, I'm not all that clued up on searching through the diaries, however I would have thought there would have been a regimental Dairy as well as the Divisional one.

The ancestry link in my previous post, and here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/60779/43849_2426_0-00000?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return, is to the War Diary of the 2nd Bn Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders commencing 1st December 1915 at image 484.

1.  Image 492:

492.jpg.db8f6a1aaae26ffc03e33cfa2b3dae46.jpg

2.  Image 507:

507.jpg.e3076110a31e268256459aeb327c157c.jpg

JP

Edited by helpjpl

5 hours ago, AlasdairW said:

however I would have thought there would have been a regimental Dairy as well as the Divisional one.

Both diaries are battalion diaries (or regimental if that's what you would like to call them).  Whether they appear on their own (as with Aug 14 to Nov 15) or whether they are part of a longer set of diaries under their brigade (as with Dec 15 to Apr 19) depends on how they are catalogued by the National Archives in the first place.  See:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_aq=WO 95&_ep=2 battalion argyll&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv

Ancestry simply follow the way they are presented at the National Archives.  

Why they are done this way  - quien sabe

Max