Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mobile airship hangar at Farnborough

Michael Thomson

Hi everybody. 

Just thought I'd share some photos of the restored mobile airship hangar at Farnborough. 

I knew nothing about it until I visited Farnborough for training a few weeks ago and discovered it quite by chance on the walk from my hotel to the airfield. 

It is in the midst of an office park, surprisingly inconspicuous considering its size and is very close to the airfield perimeter. It really is a fascinating structure. Well worth a few minutes to take a look at.

20190901_134158.jpg

20190901_134037.jpg

20190901_134306.jpg

Thanks for sharing this Michael. If you are still in the area, walk east from the hanger and you'll find a cluster of preserved 1930s buildings, including a 24' wind tunnel. Walking further east will take you to the Farnborough Air Science Trust museum, which is well worth a visit. My grandfather worked at RAE during WW1 as an apprentice, installing instruments into the SE5a. As a callow youth I was unimpressed by this, and now it's too late to ask him again....

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Walking further east will take you to the Farnborough Air Science Trust museum...

With this impressive statue of pioneer aviator SF Cody outside

2024673839_SFCody.jpg.0837e7ca3f4b14ad7f1958baa3bc57cf.jpg

NigelS

Almost midway between the Airship Hanger and Cody's statue, just inside the current airfield boundary, is the first purpose built aircraft hanger constructed in the UK, dating back to 1912.
Know as the "Black Shed" it was widely used during the Great War. 

Just in front of the "Black Shed" is the site of Cody's Tree. Samuel Cody tied his first aircraft to the tree to test its trust in 1908. An Aluminum replica of Cody's Tree stood on the site for many years, after the original tree died, but this was moved to the secure grounds of QinetiQ situated in Pyestock, to the west of the airfield, when the RAE was closed down.
A plaque now marks the spot.

A similar neighbouring shed was demolished when the Royal Aircraft Establishment was sold off and opened up for civilian use and housing.

Next to Cody's Statue, now occupied by the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust Museum, is the original Royal Flying Corps Headquarters.
A full size replica of Cody's first aircraft is on display in the museum. The FAST Museum is only open at weekends.

Although living within half a mile of the airfield, I have never photographed the Black Shed or the Airship Hanger, despite passing them on a daily basis.

Sepoy

Thanks for the very interesting replies JohnC, NigelS and Sepoy. I really appreciate them and next time I'm at Farnborough I will definitely try to go and see these landmarks. I tried to go to the FAST museum but had so little free time diring the week I was there that I just didn't make it there even though I was staying a few hundred metres from it. 

It is humbling to think of the history that was made there, the brave and pioneering men who test flew the earliest aerolanes there and who took these aircraft to war...a far cry from the business jets that populate the airfield today. I wonder what those early fliers would have thought if they could see today's aircraft?