Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Margosh

Photo request, Thiepval Memorial

Margosh

Is anyone likely to be at Thiepval Memorial in the foreseeable future please?

I am looking for a photo of the listing for a distant relative - I only 'discovered' him a few weeks after my last visit to Thiepval and I don't know when I will be back that way. Next month marks the 103rd anniversary of his death which has particularly brought him to mind.

Allan Tate Crawshaw, S/19458 The Rifle Brigade, died 24/10/1916.  Pier and Face 16B and 16C  (pier 16 is the far right first pier as you approach the Memorial, not the cemetry side. Faces B & C are the 'inside' faces).

I have no idea where exactly he is shown nor how easy/possible it is to get a photo but I would certainly appreciate any help.

Thank you

Margaret

temptage

To appease you initially, there is a poor quality photo with his name showing on Find A Grave here

Im sure a better quality photo will be with you in no time.

Ken Lees

I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll do my best. No promises as I will be supervising a group and may get distracted. 

Gareth Davies

If Ken fails you (not a criticism of you Ken, I know exactly what it is like when there with a group) let me know and I will ask the interns.

Margosh
2 hours ago, temptage said:

To appease you initially, there is a poor quality photo with his name showing on Find A Grave here

Im sure a better quality photo will be with you in no time.

Now why didn’t I think of that? I use FaG regularly but not for military purposes.  It is obviously high up! 

38 minutes ago, Ken Lees said:

I'll be there tomorrow, so I'll do my best. No promises as I will be supervising a group and may get distracted. 

22 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

If Ken fails you (not a criticism of you Ken, I know exactly what it is like when there with a group) let me know and I will ask the interns.

Thanks for the offer Ken, totally understand if you don’t get the chance.  And thanks for that too Gareth. 

Margaret

thetrenchrat22
5 hours ago, Gareth Davies said:

Margaret 

As Gareth suggested, use the CWGC interns at Thiepval.  I asked a couple of them at Tyne Cot for a couple of photos of some unknown soldier headstones.  

I got a nice reply back and the photos within 48 hours.  

Alan

chaz

lovely weather here at the moment!! just got over and a job to see due to rain clouds so any pictures may be on the dark side.

as you have offers I will pass for now, hoping to get to Connaught to see great uncle saturday.

Margosh
15 hours ago, chaz said:

lovely weather here at the moment!! just got over and a job to see due to rain clouds so any pictures may be on the dark side.

as you have offers I will pass for now, hoping to get to Connaught to see great uncle saturday.

Much like my last visit then, pouring rain and heavy mist. In August! 

16 hours ago, thetrenchrat22 said:

Margaret 

As Gareth suggested, use the CWGC interns at Thiepval.  I asked a couple of them at Tyne Cot for a couple of photos of some unknown soldier headstones.  

I got a nice reply back and the photos within 48 hours.  

Alan

I am happy to go the way of asking interns, I had no idea you could do that. How do you contact them? I don’t see any specific link/email, only the general CWGC contacts on their website.

Margaret

Gareth Davies

You ask me to ask them Margaret. Which I will do. 

Gareth Davies

I have asked. It may take a couple of days.

Margosh
1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

I have asked. It may take a couple of days.

Thank you so much Gareth, that's great and very much appreciated.

Margaret

Gareth Davies

Margosh

Fantastic Gareth. Thank you so much and please pass on my grateful thanks to the intern.

On my last visit to the area and Thiepval I picked up what I thought was all of my family connections. Then I 'discovered' Allan a few weeks later. I also found that my dad had a handwritten note about him in his books but no details other than 'believed to have died in WW1'. If only I had noticed that and followed it through before. I will be back to see him myself when I can but most of my visits tend to be in the Ypres area.

I will now add this photo to my documentation for him.

Margaret

Ken Lees

So, you won't need the photos I took yesterday. 

Margosh
1 hour ago, Ken Lees said:

Oh Ken, I will if you managed to get them. Please, you can't have too many photos! I didn't realise you were still taking them and I am really most grateful that you did manage to, especially  in view of having a group with you. Had I been there myself I would have taken a selection (or as some might say, far too many. The advantage of digital photography).  I would love to see any you took. Thank you.

Margaret

Ken Lees

Margosh
21 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

Ken they are wonderful, thank you so very much. Another tear in my eye. Seeing the edge of the pillar I can sort of imagine standing there, looking at his name. 

Very much appreciated.

Margaret