Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th battalion South Wales Borders WD 1915

BIFFO

I cannot find on a well known family web site the war diary for 5th battalion,I have looked for 19th division,I know my man left for Havre 7th  April 1915,I am only looking for where he embarked from on what ship,have looked in history of swb no mention

any help would be good :poppy:

Hello Biffo

The information you need may not be in the War Diary but here is the reference:

WO 95/2071 5 Battalion South Wales Borderers (Pioneers) 1915 July - 1919 June  

It can be downloaded from the Kew website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for about £3.50. You may need to add a suffix such as /1, /2 etc as there are two or more diaries in the file. If you have access to Ancestry you may be able to get it free.

Good hunting!

Ron

Thank you chapps,

Mark yes my man was in the 5th battalion,

Arthur Hicks

5th batt SWB,service number 5/19441

he was a 43 yr old underground lead worker,went to France shortly after admitted to base hospital at Havre

invalided home with chronic rheumatic arthritis,possibly lead poisoning,given a pension,SWB  discharged 30-11-1915 no longer physically fit for war service,how he got through his attestation is any ones guess  .

The welsh men I research if possible I like to look in WD and say where sailed from on board ???

Biffo

His MIC states that he entered France on 17 Jul 15. That day, his 5th SWB battalion (17 officers and 885 ORs) travelled in two parts from Ludgershall to Southampton, then sailed to Le Havre as divisional troops in 19th Division. It was not a smooth crossing due to storms. The battalion's WD is on Ancestry: click here. It states that the battalion sailed on the Empress Queen on the 17th after an aborted attempt the day before, beaten by the storm. The battalion transport sailed on the Carnac.

Acknown

Edited by Acknown

Acknown,thank you very much,just what I wanted,:thumbsup:

this sick man lasted 4 months,I  researched another welsh man,landed in France two weeks later taken P.O.W,sent back to Germany where  unfortunately he D.O.W,that was the  shortest military record I have "ever pinned the tail on the donkey"err sorry researched

:poppy: