Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Arthur Ernest Patrick 44885 2/4th Bn Hampshire Regt

researchingreg

The above soldier was killed in action during the Battle for Marcoing on 28 September 1918, one of the 20 Hampshire soldiers killed in this action and he is buried at Masnieres British Cemetary. He joined the Army in August 1917 when he was 18 years old and entered France in July 1918. His father was John Richard Patrick and his mother was named Lydia

He was born on 21 August 1899 and lived at 12 Stanley Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire. I cannot find a pension or War Service record for him, when he was in the Hampshires, only records for his death in action and medal cards etc for General Service and victory medals. His records could have been destroyed. Is there any other way I could find out about his service?

However I did find a record for him when he previously joined the Army under age. According to the War Pension Service record I found for him, he attested for the RFA on 28 October 1915 saying he was 19 years old and joined 3/1 Wessex Brigade Royal Field Artillery as Gunner 2036. Once his parents found out his mother Lydia wrote a letter dated 16 Feb 1916 to the C.O. of his unit and sent his Birth Cert, saying he was under age. He was discharged from the Army 26 Feb 1916 for being under age. 

I think he could be related to me and I would like any further information on him.

Edited by researchingreg
not fished post

From FWR

First Name:
A E
Surname:
Patrick
Incident Details:
War Office Daily List No.5736
Report Date:
30/11/1918
Private
Service Number:
Casualty Listed As:
Missing
Next Of Kin Address:
Portsmouth
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
Royal Hampshire Regiment
Archive Reference:
NLS 1918_WList70

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/1577285/private-arthur-ernest-patrick-british-army-royal-hampshire-regiment/

First Name:
A E
Surname:
Patrick
Incident Details:
War Office Daily List No.5762
Report Date:
03/01/1919
Private
Service Number:
Casualty Listed As:
Previously reported missing, now reported Killed
Next Of Kin Address:
Portsmouth
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
Royal Hampshire Regiment
Archive Reference:
NLS 1919_WList75

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/1577285/private-arthur-ernest-patrick-british-army-royal-hampshire-regiment/

George

Edited by George Rayner

2 hours ago, George Rayner said:

Thanks for your work George. I do have Ancestry and have seen his record ias a gunner in the RFA. Maybe I could try and find the War Diaries for 2/4th Bn the Hampshire Regt. He may be mentioned as he was killed while serving with them.

I have looked at the 2/4th Bn the Royal Hampshires War Diary for the period of the battle he was involved in from 27 Sept to 1 Oct 1918 as Pte A E Patrick is not mentioned by name; he is just one of the un-named 88 O.R. casualties sustained by 2/4th Bn during the battle. The results of the battle was some gains listed as follows 26 Machine Guns, 4 Converted Lewis Guns and 70 Prisoners captured and at least 22 'Bosche" killed. 

Obviously the Lt. Col. L. Brookes, the Battalion Commander who wrote up the diary was interested more in the capture of equipment as this was put before the Battalion's losses of officers and men.