Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RE Military Cross at Villers-Bretonneux

danlyon

The Military Cross citation in the London Gazette on 26 July 1918 reads “For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when entrusted with the destruction of a RE dump. Assisted by NCOs and sappers, he worked so effectively that the large quantity of valuable stores, explosives, etc were completely destroyed. He continued this work under heavy shell fire, and with the knowledge of the proximity of the enemy, and that the bridges behind him were being destroyed. His services were invaluable, and his courage and tenacity set a grand example to his men.” The Downing College Roll of Honour records that George William Lyon was attached to 511th Field Company RE, and that this was a posthumous award : he died on 16 April 1918.

I had wondered at first if he had been killed while he was earning that decoration, but the War Diary is less than helpful, and names no names until 1918. Unless I have not recognised it, there is no entry recording when GWL joined the unit ; he was attached to CRE 58 Div as Acting Adjutant on 26 Jan 1918 with no note of his return ; and he and one of his sappers were “killed in action while working on the Railway near Villers-Bretonneux” on 16 April 1918 ; there is no mention of the Military Cross either then or later.

16 April 1918 was of course halfway between the two Villers-Bretonneux battles which broke the final German offensive, and there was certainly a period during the first battle when the British were pushed back for a time, and would have needed to blow up their dumps and destroy their bridges as they withdrew. So I am now wondering if GWL earned his MC at that point, and survived, only to be killed by a stray shell a few days later. Can anyone help, please ?!

Edited by danlyon
Update

The annotated version of Gazette MCs available from the National Archives show his MC was awarded for his actions at Chauny 24/3/18. Image courtesy of the National Archives

lyon.jpg.d94db44a18438734ed3dd16e077e2ec6.jpg

Edited by Mark1959

Small pieces for the jigsaw.  CRE 58 Div routine orders dated 24 April under Honours and Awards:

The CRE is also glad to be able to announce that the devoted services and gallantry of the late Lt G W Lyon 511 Field Coy RE have been recognised by the award of the Military Cross.

The CRE war diary entry for 24 March 1918 describes the firing of the dump and bridges and highlights his name (as A/Adj) with the RSM and L Cpl Bradbury of 511 Fd Coy. 

He rejoined his unit (511) on the morning of 2 April (CRE Diary).  Killed at about 3 am on 16 April (CRE Diary)

Max

I am once again indebted. Sadbrewer : I hadn't seen the East Kent Gazette, which reinforces the data on the Downing College memorial. Mark1959 : that was the key I was looking for, which confirmed that the MC action was before he was killed - everything now makes a lot of sense. MaxD : I was smart enough to download the 511th War Diary, but never thought of the corresponding CRE War Diary, which really puts the tin hat on it. My education continues, and I am grateful for your help.