Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Light Somerset Infantry

Josh K

Hi all

I'm researching a family member who was part of the aforementioned unit and I am looking for some info on what happened and where etc when he died.

Private Arthur Kitchen

Killed 14.05.1917

Thanks

Same error as me no doubt!

The Commonwealth War Graves site has 13 May 1917.  That said, the war diary only lists total casualties  which included 8 men killed between 8 and 14 April. May.

The battalion went into the line on 10th April and were relieved on 14th.  It can I think be inferred that casualties were from artillery fire which the diary records.  Referring to the map/image at the link below, the trench sector was in square O 20 to the west of Vis-en-Artois

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.2521&lon=2.9151&layers=101465080&right=BingHyb

Max

Edited by MaxD
Date incorrect - amended thanks J

Arthur’s War Gratuity payment suggests an enlistment on or around 14th May 1916  (calculation courtesy of forum member and mod Craig).

I'm assuming you mean May and not April Max?

J

Thank you J, slip of the typing finger, casualties 8-14 May.  Post amended.

I should also have added that the war diary has a close up of the trench map showing the trenches named in the narrative on the last page of the May diary.  They are all about half a square north of O 20.

Max

The 43rd Inf Bde WD has several aerial photos of the area dated late April 1917, more maps of the immediate area and the appendages are fairly detailed too.

J