Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oaklands Red Cross Hospital, Clevedon , Somerset

Margosh

I believe I have found a photograph of the auxilliary hospital at Clevedon. Going through a box of family documents (I must have seen this before but not known enough to even speculate who or what it was) I found the photograph clearly of convalescents. I know that my Grandfather was at Beaufort War Hospital (Bristol) in 1915 but this photo did not match up with the one I have of him there. I noticed an embosssed name in the corner, it is difficult to read - possibly ETEF Cazell or maybe Gazette - but definitley Clevedon. A bit of searching and I am as certain as I can be that the photo was taken at Oaklands, otherwise Ramsbury Manor on Elton Road, the home of Mr and Mrs Ernest Wills. It was affiliated to Beaufort War Hospital.

There is a chance my grandfather is on this photo, the chap 3rd from right back row, not including the nurse, seems to have an RE cap badge and bears a resemblance to Grandad although he looks to be quite short and grandad wasn't particularly. Not the tallest of men but not considered short!

I am adding the photo here in case it is of interest to others (these photos are from my phone, if anyone needs a better one I can take again on my real camera).

If that is my Grandad it must have been taken around June 1915.

I found information on the hospital on the Somerset Remembers WW1 website: http://somersetremembers.com/content/storys/the-home-front/oaklands-red-cross-hospital-clevedon.ashx

Ironiocally, if Grandad was here I now know from research that his father's family came from villages in this very area although he may not have known that (born in Derbyshire, moved to Yorkshire).

Margaret

Convalescents 2.jpg

convalescents name.jpg

Nice to see that some, at least, of the patients and nurses are smiling. Often in such photographs they're a bit po-faced.

Moonraker

9 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

E.H. Hazell, London Road Studios, Clevedon

very similar photo here

I didn't get that but now Hazell is obvious, thank you! I searched all sorts of combinations, as well as Clevedon photographers generally, but just didn't see the H.

Thank you for the link too, you know I am pretty certain my grandad is on that too! I am seeing him everywhere today.

Margaret

Margaret,

I have a contact in the Clevedon Local History Group if you would like that confirmed.

By coincidence the RN Medical School was in the same road (no.5 as it is now) 1939-1947.

sJ

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Margaret,

I have a contact in the Clevedon Local History Group if you would like that confirmed.

By coincidence the RN Medical School was in the same road (no.5 as it is now) 1939-1947.

sJ

Thank you.

I am as certain as I can be that the photo is at Oaklands but I did read that they have some patient lists. It would be interesting to know if my Grandad is on any list, if your contact can help. The only list I have found so far is Canadian forces. 

Margaret

Will see what they can do.

sJ

29 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Will see what they can do.

sJ

Thank you.