Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Is this Liverpool Schoolteacher a Royal Engineer(Rail) ?

davidbohl

I'm looking for any military service for John Henry HELME, a Liverpool schoolteacher b.1887 Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria.

There is a John H. Helme RE #322718 #WR/281157 but there is a John Herbert Helme from Garstang about at the same time.

Newspaper cutting from Liv. Post 1914

DALTON AND LINDAL MEN WERE PLAYING.

I noticed two other fellows I knew, viz. Jack Helme, from Lindal, and George Corkhill, from Dalton, who live and work in the Mersey city, and are regular Aliens players.

Many thanks

Dave

Edited by davidbohl

A J. H. Helme is named on the Silecroft memorial, among the names of those who served. Not really near Dalton, but if he was an agricultural worker who was employed on farms, or perhaps he taught school over that way, it could be your man.

Edited by BereniceUK

He was only 13 on the 1901 census where he was listed as an agric. labourer and left the region in 1906

... It was dated that Mary Benson would be able to commence duties in the infants' school, Dalton, on Monday next. Mr J. H. Helme, of Lindal, wrote thanking the committee for their good wishes, and ....ing that his services be retained until he leaves ...

Published:Thursday 12 July 1906
Newspaper: Soulby's Ulverston Advertiser and General Intelligencer

He did teacher training at Chester Diocesian College then taught in Liverpool from 1908 until the early 1920's.  There is no record on FMP for his Teacher Registration. His son Kenneth was RAF in ww2.

A newspaper clip puts him back in Dalton in 1936: "Mr.J, H. Helme has been reappointed head of the Dowdales Evening School. Dalton."

Still on the hunt for a definite hit on his ww1 service.

thanks

Dave