Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards 3rd great uncle Walter Hulme

Chris Godfrey

Hello.

My 3rd great uncle a Walter Hulme born 11th January 1898 served in the coldstream guards. I have found an enrolment form signed 11th October 1916 but I'm struggling to locate anything else. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some more light on this if possible.

Kind regards 

Christopher Godfrey 

Chris, 

does the form you mention contain his service number? This is generally the key to researching an individual. Failing that family names, addresses, employment details etc. can all tie matters together to prove you have the correct individual.

There is a Coldstreamer of the correct name with the number 19185 on the MICs on ancestry but I’ve no idea if it’s the right man.

Simon

19815 Walter hulme that Simon suggested has a pension record containing quite a bit of personal and service history, quote interesting....on ancestry here...https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=YfQ44&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&dbid=1114&gsfn=Walter&gsln=Hulme&gsfn_x=1&gsln_x=1&cp=11&qh=ZHHWduNBHb4RI7NnKy02LQ%3D%3D&new=1&rank=1&uidh=l37&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=0&h=469625&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Edited by Dave66

the date of enlistment and service number certainly tie in

14 hours ago, Chris Godfrey said:

Hello.

My 3rd great uncle a Walter Hulme born 11th January 1898 served in the coldstream guards. I have found an enrolment form signed 11th October 1916 but I'm struggling to locate anything else. I was hoping someone might be able to shed some more light on this if possible.

Kind regards 

Christopher Godfrey 

His  record ( link posted above by Dave66) shows him to be rather less than a model soldier unfortunately Chris...he signed on in late September 1916 and deserted in late December....one of several brushes with authority...plus a  few medical problems that I'll not post on here.

Andy

Edit...in 1911 the family lived at 7 off Wharfe St, Hollinwood.

Edit 2...looks as though his brother James may have been killed in 1917, serving with the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Edited by sadbrewer

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

It appears Minnie (Hutchinson) was the widow of James Woolley, b 1893 d 1921...she had Eveline,Mona, and Clifford to him between 1917 and 19.