Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon highlanders in ww1

coffmanb17

i found a pocket watch engraved to a SGt J Madden of the Gordon High RS for 22 years service, in March 1930. would he have served in the WW1 .  ?. if yes where ? any help would be great thank you 

s-l500 (9).jpg

s-l500 (10).jpg

I very tentatively suggest that he might be John Hadden, 10537, WOII, 8/10 Gordon Highlanders in WW1. According to Paul Nixon's site 10537 would probably have been issued about December 1907/ January 1908. I struggling to find information as I had a glimpse of his name and number in an ancestry medal index card search, but could not get it to come up again! There is a copy of the medal index card in the genealogist.

RM

Edit: Finally persuaded ancestry to produce the Victory & BWM Medal Roll - he also served in 1 GH, in theory before 8/10 GH.

Edited by rolt968

13 hours ago, rolt968 said:

I very tentatively suggest that he might be John Hadden, 10537, WOII, 8/10 Gordon Highlanders in WW1. According to Paul Nixon's site 10537 would probably have been issued about December 1907/ January 1908. I struggling to find information as I had a glimpse of his name and number in an ancestry medal index card search, but could not get it to come up again! There is a copy of the medal index card in the genealogist.

RM

Edit: Finally persuaded ancestry to produce the Victory & BWM Medal Roll - he also served in 1 GH, in theory before 8/10 GH.

On the basis that the 1st Battalion was Regular, whereas the 8/10th was a wartime amalgamation of two Service Battalions, and the watch is engraved for 30 years with the 1st, the assumption would be that he was a pre-war regular who spent some of the war years with a Service Battalion, then returned to the 1st at war's end.

Does the annotation on his MIC on top left have any significance?

mic.jpg.7e82f8992ecd5485feaf3cb6210a69f7.jpg

In 1911 census he probably is a L/Cpl in Gordon Highlanders at Colchester , aged 21, born Glasgow, Lanark

1911.jpg.2fa126c1c2b5ec85c9d7222e65602cdf.jpg

Edited by corisande

Scotland's People gives 5 births that could be him - click

In lieu of any other clues you could try to eliminate as many as possible, eg one died in WW1, one married in 1920 and was not in the army. And see if you can get him that way

A John Madden, aged 84 died in East Kilbride in 1974 (scotlandspeople index).

1 hour ago, corisande said:

Does the annotation on his MIC on top left have any significance?

mic.jpg.7e82f8992ecd5485feaf3cb6210a69f7.jpg

I noticed that but I can't make out the first two words. I did not know that the medal rolls were still "active" in the 1970s.

RM

thank you all for your reply's 

i found this on the The Wartime Memories Project 

8/10th (Service) Battalion, Gordon Highlanders was formed on the 11th of May 1916 when the 8th Gordons amalgamated with the 10th. They served with 44th Brigade, 15th (Scottish) Division. They were in action during the Battles of the Somme, including The Battle of Pozieres, The Battle of Flers-Courcelette and the capture of Martinpuich, The Battle of Le Transloy and the attacks on the Butte de Warlencourt. In 1917 they were in action in The First and Second Battle of the Scarpe, including the capture of Guemappe during the Arras Offensive. They then moved north to Flanders and were in action during the The Battle of Pilckem and The Battle of Langemark. In 1918 they fought in The First Battle of Bapaume, The First Battle of Arras, The Battle of the Soissonnais and the Ourcq taking part in the attack on Buzancy, and The Final Advance in Artois. 

my next question is has someone out there got his medals ?