Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Were police collar numbers allocated in date order

rolt968

One of the  men I am researching was a constable in the Edinburgh City Police. His collar number was B204. Unfortunately his police service record does not seem to have survived. However his elder brother was a also an Edinburgh Police Constable and his record has survived. His number was B278. They both served in B Division (hence B).

I am wondering if I can assume that the younger brother joined the police first as he has the lower collar number. Is this a safe assumption?

RM

3 hours ago, rolt968 said:

One of the  men I am researching was a constable in the Edinburgh City Police. His collar number was B204. Unfortunately his police service record does not seem to have survived. However his elder brother was a also an Edinburgh Police Constable and his record has survived. His number was B278. They both served in B Division (hence B).

I am wondering if I can assume that the younger brother joined the police first as he has the lower collar number. Is this a safe assumption?

RM

B204 - Sergeant John Prain Clark, Seaforth Highlanders?

Maybe you already know about this website, but just in case not....

http://www.scottishpolicemedals.co.uk/scottish-police-officers-who-volunteered-to-serve-in-ww1/

By coincidence, my father was in the City of Edinburgh Police and when transferring divisions, I believe he ended up with whatever number was available; however that was a much later period, so maybe different in the era you are looking at. 

I have sent an email to someone who may be able to answer your question.  Will further advise if/when I receive a reply. 

Edited by Ron Abbott

Others I have spoken to and who served in the Edinburgh City Police say that they were just allocated whatever number happened to be available. 

I was also reminded that the late great pipe band drummer, namely James Catherwood, who played with the Edinburgh City Police Pipe Band in the 40s and 50s was known by the nickname, 'Jimmy the One'.....a play on his police number which was 'D1'......and yet he certainly wasn't the first Police Constable to serve in Leith !

its certainly not the case now, you can pick your number in my force if its not in use and appropriate! will confuse people in the future I'm sure

Police forces in the WW1 era (and up to mid 1990’s) had an “establishment” that could not be exceeded.

Recruitment was on the basis of vacancies (caused by retirements/early leavers etc) within the establishment. Collar numbers (and in some forces previously worn uniform) were recycled from retiree to recruit. Some forces changed Officer collar numbers when they moved Divisions.

When Merseyside Police were created in 1974 (from an amalgamation of Officers from several forces) Collar Numbers were issued in length of service order (from 1 to 42**) and future recruits were issued consecutive numbers so that until the late 1980’s you could identify an officers length of service by the collar number. 

As Ian says collar numbers are no longer an indicator of length of service.

Steve 

Many thanks to everyone. That is all very useful information.

9 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

Maybe you already know about this website, but just in case not....

http://www.scottishpolicemedals.co.uk/scottish-police-officers-who-volunteered-to-serve-in-ww1/

By coincidence, my father was in the City of Edinburgh Police and when transferring divisions, I believe he ended up with whatever number was available; however that was a much later period, so maybe different in the era you are looking at. 

I have sent an email to someone who may be able to answer your question.  Will further advise if/when I receive a reply. 

Thank you very much Ron.

(I had looked at the scottishpolicemedals site. It's where B204 came from (I should have remembered to give that source).)

I have the brother's record and he did have another collar number later - unfortunately there is no date for the change.

RM