Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Lt. Ernest A. Love in his SPAD

Hi,

I'm hoping someone may be able to provide some details on the death of our Prescott Arizona hometown hero pilot, 1st Lt. Ernest A. Love in September 1918.

According to Alan Roestler and Michael Wurtz, Love was with 'A' Flight of the 147th Pursuit Squadron, 1st Pursuit Group. They were flying operations in support of American ground troops in the St. Miheil offensive. On September 15th he was delayed in taking off with the rest of his squadron. "When he finally took off around 9:30 a.m. in a SPAD airplane, he headed for Verdun, an agreed rendezvous, but never arrived. He apparently was shot down and badly wounded near Tronville and was transported to a German field dressing station set up in a church where he died a couple of days later. "

According to a plaque in our airport lobby, he in fact died the very next day, September 16th. Does anybody have any light to shed on the circumstances of this young man's death in captivity or the shootdown on September 15th that preceeded it? German claims that might indicate who was perhaps the victor?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Dan

post-25-1107541164.jpg

Dan

Welcome to the Forum.

German pilot Vizefeldwebel Josef Hohly of Jasta 65 was credited with a victory after bringing down 1st Lt E A Love's SPAD near St Rémy on 15 September. It was Hohly's 7th, and last, victory of the War; he was wounded in action and crashed on 2 October.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Hi,

Wonderful info, Gareth! Thank you. Any idea what type a/c Josef Hohly was flying?

Here is another pic of Ernie Love, standing far right, eating watermelon.

Dan

Dan

Thanks for the photos.

It's almost certain that Vizefeldwebel Hohly was flying a Fokker D.VII, possibly painted in Jasta 65's apparent markings of a grey fuselage with chocolate brown nose and tailplanes.

The Fokker D.VII (Nr D.4635/18 "U.10") on display in the National Air and Space Museuem in Washington is a former Jasta 65 machine and is painted in the above colour scheme. However it doesn't appear definite that the colours are the unit's, as they may have been the individual markings of the pilot, Ltn Oliver, Freiherr von Beaulieu-Marconnay, who accidentally landed on a USAS aerodrome, and was captured, on 9 November 1918.

Regards

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

This pic of Ernie Love (right) is supposed to be with Frank Luke, both of whom are Arizonans. Frankly I find it hard to see Luke's features in the face of the guy on the left. Anybody got any ideas about if it's Luke or not or who it might be?

Dan

post-25-1108416342.jpg

Dan

I'm happy to be corrected, but he doesn't look like Lt Frank Luke to me. The man's hair appears to be darker than Luke's (see below). Having said that, I've no idea who he might be.

Regards

Gareth

post-25-1108418769.jpg

• 1 year later...
Gareth,

Thanks so much for the information. I'm looking for more photos, and if I come up with any or with more info I'll post it here.

Dan

The image is incorrect regarding Frank. I double checked with the museum that provided it and they validated that it was a mistake. It appears the author knew that and went ahead with it anyway.

Blaine Pardoe