Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Battalion RWF Cricket Team

Ron da Valli

I recently received a copy of this photo by email and thought it would be of interest. I think it is worthy of further research, when I get time. The only one that stands out to me is Otto Joseph Bell. He survived the war but was wounded at Mametz Wood in July 1916 by a British shell. His brother Guy was killed in action in 1917 and his son Reginald was accidentally killed at Clipstone Camp in 1919.

13 RWF Cricket Team.jpg

Edited by Ron da Valli

I wonder if they were related to Captain Bell of the 23rd RWF, who captured a Russian gun at the Alma in the Crimean War.  It was long on display at the depot in Wrexham.

Edited by FROGSMILE

His father was Alfred and he was a stained glass artist. I'm not aware of any other relatives serving but I'll see what I can find.

5Hi Lyn,

Yes it is Glyn Mostyn Jones.  He was a chemist in a steelworks prior to the war. He later moved to Austwick, North Yorkshire where he died in 1959

Edited by Ron da Valli
wrong date

Thanks for the info IPT. Hubert's MIC mentions the Lahore Division, MGC. I don't know much about them, so need to do some digging.

Edited by Ron da Valli

I think the O. Jenkkins is Oswald Jenkins. He seems the most likely candidate so far. The extra K is probably a mistake as I can't find that exact spelling in the MIC records.

I’m not sure about the date of death for Lieut. Captain. Major G. M. Jones. I’ve got him London Gazetted for his M. B. E. 15.12 1944.  Lyn.

Edited by roselyn2

A photo of Glyn Mostyn Jones and his daughter Aileen. She was born on the 13th August 1916. His wife died on the same day so most probably during childbirth. This photo courtesy of Nick Corser, the grandson of the baby Aileen.

Glyn Mostyn Jones.jpg

Just as a point of curiosity 13th RWF seems to have been one of a small number of Service Battalions of that regiment that chose to wear the regimental collar badge also as a cap badge.  You can see this on the uniformed officer at the centre of the cricket team.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Snape,

Appears to be George Edward Snape. To France 1/12/15. Served with 13th and 10th RWF. According to Medal roll he also at some time was attached 254 Tunnelling Company RE and also Hood Battalion RND. Demobbed 7/5/19. 31293

Admitted to 34 CCS with a gunshot wound to left chest in Aug 1918 Then with 13th.

also admitted to 149 Fld Amb 22/4/18 with PUO but then with 10th

Edited by Mark1959

Thanks IPT. The 13th  first went to France on the 1st & 2nd December 1915.  That's 8 identified so far and they all went to France on the 1st December 1915.

I have a candidate for W J Hill. Just W James to go. Thanks everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

One bit of additional info on Bell. The shell that wounded him fatally wounded the battalion CO Oswald Swift Flower. He was a member of my rowing club. I have this summary but at least two of the links to the sources no longer work

"On 10th July the Battalion attacked Mametz Wood. His adjutant described how, despite fainting from exhaustion, Col. Flower was always up with the front line, saying "the boys are going on and I must go with them". They made contact with the other attacking battalions inside the wood and the Colonel spent the night sleeping in a shell-hole. On the 11 th. they were being held as general reserve, and while Colonel Flower was at Battalion H.Q. on the Central Ride at 3.30pm a British 18 pounder shell, firing short, hit a tree and deflected down, badly wounding Col. Flower, his adjutant and Major Bell, the C.O. Col. Flower died the next day. "

I am presuming this is the same Bell. 

• 8 months later...

William James Hill, and indeed this very photograph feature in my Book Neath and Briton Ferry in the Frist World War. I know his grandson. W J Hill  was a chemist in the Briton Ferry Steelworks and a leading light in the Briton Ferry Steelworks Cricket Team for many years. He joined the RE shortly after this photograph was taken.

I have some lovely photographs of Major Bell too...

• 3 months later...

Major Glyn Mostyn Jones was with the 22nd Batt. Glamorganshire Home Guard. ( Cardiff District ) during the 2nd. World War.   Awarded The M. B. E. Military.  London Gazette. 15.10 1944.    Lyn.