Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

GJW

Laurence M Greene. 2nd Batt. Irish Guards - 7032. Military Medal Winner

GJW

Hi,

More help please. Having a run on medal winners in my village research project. Could I be so bold as to ask for some help with this man. Anything and everything would be appreciated

Kindest,

Gerard

Mark1959

Which village? May help tracking down the correct man. Any more details?

IPT

Castledermot

George Rayner

Apparently Gazetted 10/8/16 on M M card on FMP

George

GJW

Apologies. Castledermot, Co. Kildare. From a very small village we have so far 38 dead and about 84 who served and survived. I am trying to put it all together as it was taboo for many many years. 

corisande

He seems to have been born just Laurence Greene.

I could not find what his "M" was for.

He is in 1901 census with family, but I did not find him in 1911 census

greene-bc.jpg.b95c8be6af0c01a4a0dd490faff0c66c.jpg

corisande

I think he is probably in 1911 census as a Drapers Assistant in Dublin (FmP entry)

Which gives him as Lawrence (sic) Greene born Kildare and aged 16

George Rayner

That's how I looked for him-with a w not a u! Birth cert looked that way

George

Jervis
1 hour ago, GJW said:

Apologies. Castledermot, Co. Kildare. From a very small village we have so far 38 dead and about 84 who served and survived. I am trying to put it all together as it was taboo for many many years. 

Apologises for a little off topic aside...

Gerard, was there a military barracks in Castledermot? If so where was it? 

I am pretty sure there was a reference to one in Neil Richardson’s book “according to their lights” which surprised me. Online searches didn’t help me locate it. I know there was/an RIC “barracks” I wondering if this was the same or there was a separate military barracks.

corisande

To makes matters a bit more confusing, there appears there may be another "Lawrence Greene" in Castledermot, or maybe not

This is a 1938 marriage, but gives the father as Francis Greene, harness maker. Whereas the Birth Cert has father as Henry Greene, harness maker. I suspect that it is the sme father in both

greene-marriage.jpg.6f0fe06c415b440019df1ae2c14d73da.jpg

GJW
35 minutes ago, Jervis said:

Apologises for a little off topic aside...

Gerard, was there a military barracks in Castledermot? If so where was it? 

I am pretty sure there was a reference to one in Neil Richardson’s book “according to their lights” which surprised me. Online searches didn’t help me locate it. I know there was/an RIC “barracks” I wondering if this was the same or there was a separate military barracks.

There was an RIC barracks and courthouse in Castledermot. It is on Barrack street (or road) beside O'Gorman Butchers. It still exists. The nearest or most popular recruitment office was in Carlow town or so it would seem from our research

corisande

There is a family tree on Ancestry - click for tree - which gives that as his marriage and his death as 1941

clk

Hi Gerard,

There is a record for him being passed through 34 Casualty Clearing Station (in Grovetown)

image.png.7c732075c054e6ce490ca4feafe8d461.png

image.png.a2b26567ce5bf9a001eb5c937482bb74.png

image.png.0674fd000a3646483f3c6215cc4936e0.png

image.png.b31b7de131d2acee8e148dbc367a3566.png

All images sourced from Findmypast

The three sets of ditto marks in the last image give dates of 20.11.1916 (x 2), and '1 A.T' (presumably number 1 Ambulance Train).

It looks like he probably joined up on or around 10th March 1915. Service papers survive which show:

7010 Shields - attested 6.3.1915

7012 Sexton - attested 6.3.1915

7022 Mellon - attested 8.3.1915

7023 Whelan - attested 8.3.1915

7027 Talbot - attested 10.3.1915

7034 McManus - attested 10.3.1915

7035 McKillop - attested 10.3.1915

7041 Gallagher - attested 11.3.1915

7048 Driscoll - attested 15.3.1915

7049 Christie - attested 8.3.1915

A March 1915 attestation date would tie back to the 1 year, 8 months completed service shown in the medical register.

Regards

Chris

GJW

Thanks Chris, Where can I find the records above. They would be ideal for my purpose. I have had no such luck. Appreciated.

Gerard

7023 Whelan - attested 8.3.1915 - does it show where this man was from - am missing a James Whelan - 

IPT
1 hour ago, GJW said:

7023 Whelan - attested 8.3.1915 - does it show where this man was from - am missing a James Whelan - 

This is Edward Whelan from Newtownbarry, Wexford.

GJW

Thanks Chris. Could you please let me know where I can find the above papers on Greene on lineif possible.

clk

Hi Gerard,

2 hours ago, GJW said:

Where can I find the records above.

I got them from Findmypast. What I did is in their search page (link), I just used the 'Regiment' and 'Soldier Number' fields. Regiment = Irish Guards; Soldier Number = (partial wild card) 703* gives 16 hits, including...

image.png.55823184416fa2fd2f3933f3bc075eb9.png

I then only had to look at the records labelled 'British Army Service Records'. Then I repeated the exercise, changing the partial wild card number to 702*, 704* etc.

4 minutes ago, GJW said:

Thanks Chris IPT. Could you please let me know where I can find the above papers on Greene on lineif possible

I think that only selective Guards ones are online, and I didn't see one for Greene. I believe that Guards records were held elsewhere, and weren't effected by the main fire in WW2, though according to the National Archives, some were lost as the result as the result of bombing to the Guards chapel. More recently I think that the Irish Guards service files were moved, and are now in the custody of the MoD. You should be able to get a probably heavily weeded copy (see here), but that would cost £30. If you did decide to go down that route, there is a helpdesk number here.

Regards

Chris

GJW

Very Clever and thank you for sharing this with me!