Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Caitlin

Black watch quartermasters

Caitlin

I recently found out that my grandfather, James McDonald, was a quartermaster sergeant in the Black watch. Can anyone tell me more about his service or be able to direct me to where I can find out more.  Thank you.

Coldstreamer

Have you looked for service papers yet ?

George Rayner

Welcome Caitlin

Have any other information which will identify him as Ancestry throws up 104 records to look through.

The collective are very clever-very, very clever some of them but mostly we need some help from the people who post questions!

George

Coldstreamer

like his service number as a popular name in that regiment!

PRC

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If I've counted correctly the Royal Highlanders ran to 23 Battalions during the course of the Great War, (although not all in existance for all of it). Each one would have had a Battalion Quartermaster plus numerous Company Quartermaster Sergeants.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/royal-highlanders-black-watch/

The individuals holding those roles would have changed over time and some may have held it on a temporary \ acting basis, so it may not be recorded anywhere other than in his service records, (if it has survived - the vast majority haven't) or they may have gone on to reach a higher rank, in which case a simple search like Sergeant \ Serjeant James McDonald won't bring up anything definative.

So please let us know what you already have - particularly date of birth, (or known age at any particular point, like a census, wedding or death), place of birth and whether or not he survived the war - but anything that helps narrow down the search would always be appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

FROGSMILE

Bear in mind also the battalion’s most senior Quartermaster Sergeant (QMS) who was the right hand man of the (commissioned) Quartermaster in his vital role running the unit’s equipment and ration account.  Also the Orderly Room SNCO, who if Senior would also be a QMS.

rolt968

It may be worth looking at Wauchope's History of the Black Watch 1914-1918. I think that he lists the RSMs, CSMs, RQMSs and CQMSs of some (many?) of the battalions at embarkation (and also at formation of 4/5 Battalion). Of course it won't help if he was promoted later.

RM