Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John Prain Clark 8896 2 Seaforth Hdrs kia 1/ 05/1917 in newspaper 11 May 1917: Also about John Percy Clark, Seaforth Hdrs

rolt968

Hi Peter, you surely are most dedicated to the forum! My search, in the main had followed your own train of thought. After going through the medal cards and noting all John Clark/Seaforth links I set about eliminating those who died by referencing the relevant documents and also university rolls of honour that eliminated a few more. I did find that 3 pages of the Seaforth register of medal awards were covered by sheets of paper - a bit irksome to say the least. I have a narrower list than when I started and with the huge amount of information and suggestions provided on the forum, I have renewed energy to chomp away at it over the weekend.

Thank you for your thoughts on the uniform in the picture. I had not considered stores or tailor, and I think you could be spot-on with your idea. It explains a lot. Cheers.

A couple of ideas.

The 2021 census will be out soon. You should be able to get more information from that. (Remember that the Scotland Census will be available thorugh a different source.)

If you check the Pension Cards and Ledgers available through the WFA or Fold3/ancestry you will should find the JohnClarks who wer killed and the John Clarks who were awarded SWBs, but you might find there are others who had been awarded pensions because they were not fit post war and so could also be eliminated from the list of possibles.

I forgot to ask earlier. Have you contacted the regimental museum at Fort George? If not, when things returned to normal it could be worth asking if they can help.

RM

• 4 months later...

The WD for 1st May, 1917, shows "5 men were wounded & 1 Killed". No names of course.

I am attaching a snippet from my transcription of the WD for that date.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

2nd SFs WD - 01 May 1917 snippet..jpg

Edited by Tom Lang
typo

I thought it should useful to include the WD for 30 April, 1917.

Note 30th April - 1st May: "1 man was killed & 1 wounded".

Tom.

2nd SFs WD - 30 Apr 1917 snippet..jpg

Edited by Tom Lang
add text

Many thanks for both of those, Tom.

RM