Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Killing of the Iron Twelve

Hyacinth1326

I can recommend Dr Malloch's Book on 'The Killing of the Iron Twelve' published by Pen and Sword. It is available in both kindle and hardback editions.  Many of you will know the story and here it is expertly placed in the context of German militarism and its impact on the occupied territories and implications for the Irish perspective on the unfolding conflict.  The text/handling of material is as good as it gets and it is supported by useful primary/secondary references. It is eminently readable and a satisfying text for layperson and academic alike.  One caveat.  Personally I found the abbreviation of regimental names quite irritating but I well understand why this was done.  All told, a minor quibble.

Dr Malloch has illuminated one of the darker chapters of Great War study here and in my view has added significantly to our grasp of events. 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

I have reviewed it for Stand To! Without wishing to post too many spoiler alerts, I liked it. Review may well be in the next issue, if not, the one after. Certainly opened my eyes to much more than just the immediate subject matter.