Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1896 bayonet

Adam 1987

On the base of my great grandads bayonet there are markings 7.. 45.... 267 these have been scratched out 4 lines then there is 1/8 and 5.00 which have not been scratches out. DM also printed which i think stands for durham light infantry. Im geusing the numbers represent brigades he was in i am trying to trace where he was before during and after the war. Any help much appreciated  thanks 

20190914_162202.jpg

20190914_162111.jpg

20190914_162131.jpg

20190914_162124.jpg

Edited by Adam 1987
Pictures

Welcome Adam,

your bayonet is a P1888 Mk1 type 2, manufactured in August 1896 (8 96).

The first unit marking 7/45/267 has been cancelled, It was then then issued to the 1/8 Durham light infantry, rack number 500.

Link to the long long trail, covering their wartime movements is here...https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/durham-light-infantry/

Dave.

12 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Welcome Adam,

your bayonet is a P1888 Mk1 type 2, manufactured in August 1896 (8 96).

The first unit marking 7/45/267 has been cancelled, It was then then issued to the 1/8 Durham light infantry, rack number 500.

Link to the long long trail, covering their wartime movements is here...https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/durham-light-infantry/

Dave.

Thanks for the info very useful. What does rack number mean then? 

31 minutes ago, Adam 1987 said:

Thanks for the info very useful. What does rack number mean then? 

Each bayonet was assigned a number, which probably was associated with a corresponding rifle.

As to the cancelled marks, hopefully someone else may come along and shed some light.

Does it have its scabbard?

9 minutes ago, Dave66 said:

Each bayonet was assigned a number, which probably was associated with a corresponding rifle.

As to the cancelled marks, hopefully someone else may come along and shed some light.

Does it have its scabbard?

It did unfortunately a few years ago my dog thought it was great for a chew toy and nothing remains of it. Would there be a list of names of men serving in the 8th ?

7 minutes ago, Adam 1987 said:

It did unfortunately a few years ago my dog thought it was great for a chew toy and nothing remains of it. Would there be a list of names of men serving in the 8th ?

That’s a shame, but you may be able to source one as they were all interchangeable.

as to the list of names, there were thousands!!....Probably best to start with your grandfather and work backwards to see if he was in the Durham’s...you could start a new thread in soldiers and see where that gets you.

Dave.