Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When were the Canal Defences redesigned Eastern Force ?

ddycher

All

Semantics I know but my notes a mess when it comes to correctly labelling the transition of the Canal Defences as part of the Force in Egypt through its transfer to the MEF and then any early redesignations under the EEF. Originally I had thought that Eastern Force was created when the new HQ was opened on 18th October 1916 however the OH references Eastern Frontier as early as July and I have ref's to Eastern (Frontier) Force apparently in April and May. Anyone have the correct order of battle through the first half of 1916 ?

Regards

Dave

4 hours ago, ddycher said:

Originally I had thought that Eastern Force was created when the new HQ was opened on 18th October 1916

Murray's Third Despatch [1st Oct 1916 - 28th Feb 1917] has the following confirming your October 1916 information – see page 91.>

On the 23rd October, in order to be in closer touch with the civil authority, I moved my General Headquarters from Ismailia to Cairo, and at the same time the new Headquarters of the Eastern Force came into existence at Ismailia, under the command of Lieut.- General Sir Charles Dobell, K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O. This new command included the three sections of the Canal Defences, of which I have previously spoken, and the Sharqia province (between the edge of the Nile Delta and the Suez Canal), including Port Said and Suez.

[my emphasis]

Edited by michaeldr

Notwithstanding the quote from Murray in post 2 above

Appendix C of the same volume uses a similar form of words iro forces as at May 1916

refering to 1, 2 & 3 Sections, Eastern Force – see p.186

I agree; it's confusing

edit to add: Anyone have the correct order of battle through the first half of 1916 ?

per the above mentioned Appdx C [May 1916]

No. I Section, Eastern Force : —

42nd Division (with 3rd Dismounted Brigade attached).

54th Division.

7 Battalions Indian Infantry (one at Tor and Abu Zeneima).

Mounted Troops:

8th Mounted Brigade.

No. 2 Section, Eastern Force (2nd Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) :—

4th Australian Division.

5th Australian Division.

Mounted Troops:

Australian and New Zealand Mounted Division (less 3 brigades).

No. 3 Section, Eastern Force : —

52nd Division (with ist Dismounted Brigade attached).

11th Division (in reserve).

Mounted Troops:

5th Mounted Brigade.

Australian and New Zealand Mounted Division (less 1 brigade).

Edited by michaeldr

12 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Notwithstanding the quote from Murray in post 2 above

Appendix C of the same volume uses a similar form of words iro forces as at May 1916

refering to 1, 2 & 3 Sections, Eastern Force – see p.186

I agree; it's confusing

In the text of his despatches Murray uses the expression 'eastern front' [without caps] up to p.91

at which point, as mentioned in 2 above, "Eastern Force came into existance"

How you reconcile that with his Appdx C, .... I don't know

Its a hodgepodge Michael.

Ref's (both formal and informal) bounce backwards and forwards between Canal Defences, Eastern Frontier Force and Eastern Force from February right up to October. From which point they seem consistent on Eastern Force. The October ref had me for a long time. But looking closely it does say the "new headquarters of Eastern Force" rather than the "headquarters of the new Eastern Force" implying there was an older one. Although I agree he does stipulate "this new Command".

Believe I am right that Canal Defences ended with the placing of the Corps on the Canal but this also creeps in now and again right up unto the amalgamation of No.1 and No.2 Sections into the Southern Canal Section.

Must be a formal re-designation at some point but I can't find it.

Regards

Dave