Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Leslie G Ring. 3rd London's. KIA 18th September 1918

Tony Ring

Today I remember with sadness and pride, my Great Uncle Lt. Leslie Ring who was killed on the 18th September 1918 at the Battle of Epehy.

Leslie was not found for 10 days and owing to the condition of his body that was found in no mans land he was buried as an unknown Royal Fusiliers Lt. in a trench grave at the Wood Farm Cemetery.   Later by process of elimination he was eventually identified.

Leslie was a Kiwi in London on his OE and had joined the 3rd London's after graduating from the Innes of Court OTC.     

His brother Gus also served in France with the NZ Canterbury Regiment.  He was wounded and after treatment he was able to return to NZ.

RIP......   you will never be forgotten...

• Admin

Rest in Peace Leslie 

IMG_1845.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony,   Did he join the 1/3rds or 2/3rds  on  21 April 1916?   Chances are he'd have known one or more of my 4 g-uncles ... 3 in the 1/3rds and 1 in the 2/3rds.  In particular Edgar Agius  moved from tne Inns of Court OTC to the  1/3rds in 1915.   A lot about about the 3rd Londons on my family website , which you may find of interest.  I will be posting the diary of  Private Luckcuck in the next few weeks.    http://agiusww1.com/edgar-emanuel-gordon-agius-1888-1969/     I have a Kiwi  son-in-law  so I'm interested in any connection between New Zealand and the 3rd Londons.

Lt Gordon 3rd Londons.jpg

Edited by pagius