Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Metal detecting find - WW1 medal - can’t find any details

paulwetherhill

Good afternoon. I personally researched my relatives roles in the Great War about ten years ago, and recently a colleague found a WW1 medal whilst metal detecting. I took on to do a little research using the usual methods, ancestry, 1911 census, cwgc etc but I am drawing a blank. 

The medal is a silver British service medal and although slightly damaged, I can only make out what I think is 208298 NGR (presume ENGR) W.C. ROBERTSON R.A. 

It was found in Scotland and I am drawing a blank on the service number. I have attached a picture and although hard to see i have spent two hours searching possibilities and drawn a blank. Does anyone have any idea please? Thanks. If there is a possibility this person can be traced the finder may be keen to hand it to any surviving relatives where possible. 

0B7A9F84-F939-4C85-AD6B-1745412AA0CB.png

The Medal Card and Roll is for 208292 Gunner William Christie Robertson (Royal Garrison Artillery)

BillyH.

Edited by BillyH

Ah Thankyou. It was that last digit that looks like it was getting me. Seems he survived the war. And so the search starts. Any tips as to where to start? 

click on the Long long trail, will give you lots of places to start your research

The Medal And Award Roll has him in the 

136 Hvy. Bty. R.G.A.

Hi

Possibly William Christie Robertson, b.12.5.1898,  Lockhartville, Kings County, Nova Scotia,Canada. Youngest of 8 children to  James W Robertson and Lila "Annie" Robertson. ...looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

10 hours ago, paulwetherhill said:

Seems he survived the war. And so the search starts. Any tips as to where to start? 

He probably was from Scotland, there is no birth record for a William Christie Robertson in England + Wales between 1875-1900.

1911 Scottish census is not available on Ancestry so cannot find him there.

(Barry has just added another good lead).

BillyH.

Hi All

The above is on the 1901 Canadian Census ..William C Robertson and on the 1911 as Christie Robertson, family details check out...looking

Regards Barry

William Christie Robertson, 1935 living Colchester, Hants, Nova Scotia, married, a Merchant.

Edited by The Inspector

AS YOU WERE.......MORE LIKELY TO BE  THIS ONE.....but ???

William Christie Robertson, born 4.5.1885, 1 Clydeview Terrace, Springbank Road, Paisley, Renfrewshire. died 1952, Paisley. married Helen Diven 8.8.1912 Paisley. she died 28.3.1963 Paisley.

Barry

Wow you guys are fast! The medal was found in Scotland, so this could tie in. Let me digest the above. I cant seem to find a DOB from service records which would wrap things up nicely!

Edited by paulwetherhill

A William Christie Robertson died at No.365 Blackness Road in Dundee on 7th Jan 1947 (Probate record)

Don't know how old he was though.

BillyH.

The William Christie Robertson located by BillyH  in post#13 was 88 years of age. A notice of his death was published in the Dundee Evening Telegraph stating that William Christie Robertson, late of James Robertson & Son, plumbers, Dundee, had died on 7th January 1947 in a nursing home in his 89th year. Husband of the late Margaret Grieve. Aged 88 in January 1947 makes his birth year about 1859. 

Edited by HarryBrook
Missed out his date of death!